Amount of torque required robot

In summary, the speaker is building a robot with four electric motors and is trying to determine the correct torque needed to power the robot up a 30 degree slope. They have calculated a torque of 3.125 ft*lbs or 11kg*cm per wheel, but are questioning if this is too high. They are also seeking recommendations for affordable motors from others who have experience building robots.
Mech327
This is bad and I should know this but I can't seam to figure out if my torque calculation is correct.

Heres the story I am trying to build a robot that will run off of four electric motor one at each wheel. I want it to be able to weight around 25 lbs and be on around 6 inch diameter wheels or .25 ft radius . I want it to be able to run on a small amount of amps as possible and be able to go up a 30 degree slope.

The equation I used was at first to draw FBD and so 25sin30 = 12.5 which would be my force I would have to counteract. then to Torque = f X d = 12.5 X .25 = 3.125 ft*lbs of torque all together so divide by four .78125 ft*lb per wheel or .11kg*m or 11kg*cm which many of the motors are given in.

to me this seams kind of high because tried to compare to torque on a car. I know there are gears in transmission but still didn't add up with my calculations it would be as if the car couldn't make it up the hill that's why I am checking. Am I figuring it wrong that the motor would need that much torque to move it up the slope or what in the world am I doing wrong

Lastly if any of you out there ever built robot and have recommendation for motors let me know I want to keep each motor under 20 dollars but let me know

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to provide a definitive answer without more information, such as the weight of the robot, the power requirements of the motors, and the type of terrain the robot will be operating on. However, your calculation of torque does seem reasonable given the conditions you have provided. You may want to consider other factors such as friction from the terrain, wind resistance, and the efficiency of the motors when deciding how much torque is required for your robot.

1. What is torque and why is it important for robots?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to rotate an object around an axis. In the case of robots, torque is important because it determines the robot's ability to move and manipulate objects.

2. How do you calculate the amount of torque required for a robot?

The amount of torque required for a robot can be calculated by multiplying the force required to move an object by the distance from the object's center of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque required for a robot?

The amount of torque required for a robot can be affected by factors such as the weight of the object being moved, the distance from the center of rotation, and any resistance or friction in the robot's joints.

4. How do you ensure that a robot has enough torque to perform its tasks?

To ensure that a robot has enough torque to perform its tasks, engineers must carefully design and select the appropriate motors and gearing systems based on the weight and complexity of the robot's tasks.

5. Can a robot have too much torque?

Yes, a robot can have too much torque which can lead to damage or instability. It is important to carefully balance the torque with the robot's weight and intended tasks to ensure safe and efficient operation.