Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of torque required robot

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    This is bad and I should know this but I cant seam to figure out if my torque calculation is correct.

Heres the story I am trying to build a robot that will run off of four electric motor one at each wheel. I want it to be able to weight around 25 lbs and be on around 6 inch diameter wheels or .25 ft radius . I want it to be able to run on a small amount of amps as possible and be able to go up a 30 degree slope.

The equation I used was at first to draw FBD and so 25sin30 = 12.5 which would be my force I would have to counteract. then to Torque = f X d = 12.5 X .25 = 3.125 ft*lbs of torque all together so divide by four .78125 ft*lb per wheel or .11kg*m or 11kg*cm which many of the motors are given in.

to me this seams kind of high because tried to compare to torque on a car. I know there are gears in transmission but still didn't add up with my calculations it would be as if the car couldn't make it up the hill thats why I am checking. Am I figuring it wrong that the motor would need that much torque to move it up the slope or what in the world am I doing wrong

Lastly if any of you out there ever built robot and have recommendation for motors let me know I want to keep each motor under 20 dollars but let me know

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted