1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of work it takes to bring a 10 uC charge from infinity to a specific position?

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A dipole with ±6.0 μC charges is positioned so that the positive charge is 1.0 mm to the right of the origin and the negative charge is at the origin. How much work does it take to bring a 10.0 μC charge from infinity to a position x = 3.0 mm, y = 0.0 mm? (The value of k is 9.0 × 10^9 N∙m2/C2.)

2. Relevant equations

The potential of an electric dipole: V = kq(1/r+ - 1/r-)

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I know how to do this problem, but I have some questions. Are r+ and r- the distances the 10 uC charge is from the positive and negative dipole charges, respectively? The answer to the problem is 90J, but I keep getting something like .0000000009, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: Amount of work it takes to bring a 10 uC charge from infinity to a specific posit

Usually when one's result is off by some multiple of 10 it's due to a problem with unit conversions. Can you show your math?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook