Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AMPAC Semi-Empirical Problem

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1

rvm

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student being introduced to the world of computational chemistry. I am modeling a reaction using AMPAC semi-empirical methods, and the output file included an error message. I would appreciate some insight.

The calculation is a chain calculation connecting two structures corresponding to a partial rotation of a molecular rotor. The calculation completed and marked two nodes as potential transition states (node 5 and node 8). Node 5 had two negative vibrations, Node 8 had a single large negative vibration.

My calculation settings:
    pm6 rhf singlet fullchn lforce t=auto

Error message:
    CconnectionAOut::GetAmpacVibrationData()
    Bad Vibration = 8
    Line Number 6495

Thank you,

RVM

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

Sorry, but I don't know much about AMPAC. However, I may still be able to help. The error sounds like it is arising from an attempt to read vibrational frequency data from some sort of input or temporary file. This might happen for any number of reasons.

Does the error arise at the beginning of the calculation when the input is read, or sometime later? Also, what do the calculation settings mean? I understand "pm6", "rhf" and "singlet", but what are the other settings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook