Ampere readings investigation

I'm working in electrical company in a department in which I receive transformer LV side ampere readings and in most of these readings the neutral has amperege due to unbalanced loading, all I need a method in which I be certain that these readings are actual measured values specially neutral measuremen to make reldistributing the load to the phases, I thought that when I multiply the r,s,t readings the phase between r,s,t which is 120 diffrence it will make me be sure that these phases reading are correct and the neutral amperege. Is that right , if not what is the way to investigate these readings.

Answers and Replies

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I thought that when I multiply the r,s,t readings the phase between r,s,t which is 120 diffrence it will make me be sure that these phases reading are correct
i cannot make sense of that sentence.

What are you multiplying by what ? and why ?

and the neutral amperege
Neutral current includes both unbalance AND third harmonic current.
Electronic devices made before power factor correction was mandated draw a lot of third harmonic current that shows up in the neutral. .
You'll need to look at your neutral current with a spectrum analyzer to know how much of it is at line frequency(unbalance) and how much is at 3X line frequency(electronic loads).

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff