How Does Ampere's Circuital Law Apply to Two Parallel Current-Carrying Wires?

• Thread starter shrabastee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Sum
In summary, to calculate the net magnetic field at point P due to two conductors, you will need to use the equations for magnetic field due to a single conductor and the general magnetic field equation for a straight long current. Remember to add the magnetic fields together since the currents are in the same direction, and then integrate to find the final result. Good luck!
shrabastee

Homework Statement

In figure. (i1 and i2 are in the same direction. And the formula for field due to straight long wire is to be used.)

Homework Equations

Magnetic Field(B1) at the conductor carrying I2 current=2i1/d

General magnetic field due to a straight long current at point P=2i/r(r=perpendicular distance between the conductor and the point P)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need some hints to work on. Please help!

EDIT:

These are the steps I came up with:
1)Find B1 due to conductor carrying i1
2)Find B2 due to conductor carrying i2(taking distance as (d-r))
3)Subtract the two to get net field.
4)Integrate.

But how do I eliminate the i2 from the expression??

Attachments

• sigh..pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. I would like to offer some guidance and suggestions for solving this problem.

First, let's review the relevant equations for calculating magnetic fields due to straight long wires:

1. Magnetic field (B1) at a point P due to a conductor carrying current i1 = 2i1/d (where d is the distance between the conductor and point P)

2. General magnetic field (B2) at a point P due to a straight long current = 2i/r (where i is the current in the conductor and r is the perpendicular distance between the conductor and point P)

Based on these equations, we can see that the magnetic field at point P due to the conductor carrying i2 current will be given by the following equation:

B2 = 2i2/r (since i2 is the current in this conductor and r is the perpendicular distance between the conductor and point P)

To eliminate the i2 from the expression, we can use the fact that both i1 and i2 are in the same direction. This means that their magnetic fields will add together at point P. Therefore, the net magnetic field at point P due to both conductors will be given by:

Bnet = B1 + B2 = 2(i1 + i2)/r

We can now use this expression to calculate the net magnetic field at point P. I hope this helps you get started on solving this problem. Good luck!

1. What is Ampere's circuital law sum?

Ampere's circuital law sum, also known as Ampere's law, is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space times the current passing through the loop.

2. Who discovered Ampere's circuital law sum?

Ampere's circuital law sum was discovered by French physicist André-Marie Ampere in the early 19th century. He formulated it as a mathematical expression in his work on electrodynamics, which laid the foundation for the study of electromagnetism.

3. What is the importance of Ampere's circuital law sum?

Ampere's circuital law sum is important because it provides a mathematical relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. This allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnets, motors, generators, and other devices that use electric currents and magnetic fields.

4. How is Ampere's circuital law sum used in practical applications?

Ampere's circuital law sum is used in practical applications such as designing and analyzing the performance of electromagnetic devices. It is also used in the study of magnetic materials and their properties, as well as in the development of technologies such as magnetic levitation and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Is Ampere's circuital law sum always valid?

Yes, Ampere's circuital law sum is always valid as long as the current is steady and the magnetic field is static. In dynamic situations, where the magnetic field is changing, the law can be modified by including additional terms to account for the changing magnetic field.