Ampere's Law and current density

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the magnetic field in a long, solid, cylindrical wire with a radius of 10 cm, where the current density varies linearly with the radial distance from the axis. The equation J = J0 r / a is used, where J0 = 0.5 A/cm2, to find the current at a specific radius. This current is then plugged into Ampere's law, and symmetry arguments can be applied to find the magnetic field inside the wire. Pictures can be helpful in visualizing the problem, and the J = 0 outside the wire.
arutha
The current density inside a long, solid, cylindrical wire of radius a = 10 cm is in the direction of the axis and varies linearly with the radial distance r cm from the axis according to J = J0 r / a with J0 =0.5 A/cm2 . Find the magnetic field in μT at r = 0.045 m

Ok I know from amperes law that the magnetic field in this case can be derived to be:

B=(mew0/2*pi)(I*r/R2)

Edit: Wait.. Is that above equation right? That might have been what I did wrong.. When I worked it out I used B= (mew0*I) / (2*pi*r)

Was that my mistake?

Since it says J = J0 r / a

And I know current density is I=J*A where A is area

I put those two equations together. Since there is no length of the wire, for Area I just used pi*r^2

J = J0*r(pi*r^2) / a

Where r=.045m, a=10cm, and J0 =0.5 A/cm2

Not sure if I have interpreted the question correctly, or if that is the right way to do it.. From there I just put that in as I into the original magnetic field equation, using r on the bottom once again as .045m to get my answer. It was still wrong. Thats my attemp, what did I do wrong?

I converted everything to SI units, to convert A/cm^2 to A/m^2 I multiplied it by 10,000. Is that right?

Anyone know how to get this?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you are given J = J(r).

in ampere's law, we need to find the current.

so integrate J(r) with respect to area (hint: you'll need to swap dA for dr) to find the current at the value of radius in question.

then apply symmetry arguments to the left hand side of ampere's law, and there you go.

note: if you want the B-field outside of the wire, you need only integrate up to the actual radius of the wire--J = 0 outside the wire.

drawing pictures helps out, especially when comparing the value of the radius of your amperian loop vs. the radius in question.

if there's any more help needed, just post again. :cool:

Not sure I understand..

Should I get:

B = mew0*I*r / 2*pi*R2

Where r is the distance to the point in the wire we're looking for, and R is the radius of the whole wire? How does J fit into it?

The part of the question I don't get is this bit:

axis according to J = J0 r / a

What does that actually mean in terms of the question and how do I get the required information out of it?

What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space.

How is Ampere's Law derived?

Ampere's Law is derived from the Biot-Savart Law, which describes the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. By integrating the Biot-Savart Law around a closed loop and using the fact that the magnetic field is conservative, Ampere's Law can be derived.

What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electric current flowing through a unit area. It is represented by the symbol J and is given by the ratio of the current passing through a surface to the area of that surface.

How is current density related to Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law can be written in terms of current density, where the integral of the magnetic field is equal to the product of the current density and the area enclosed by the loop. This allows for a more general application of Ampere's Law, as it can be applied to situations where the current is not constant throughout the loop.

What are some real-life applications of Ampere's Law and current density?

Ampere's Law and current density have many practical applications, such as in designing and analyzing electromagnets, motors, and generators. They are also used in the study of plasma physics and in the development of medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).