Solving Ampere's Law for Parallel Wires

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point between two parallel wires with currents of 10.0 A and 20.0 A, 1.0 m apart. It is determined that the equations used are correct, but the directions of the currents and magnetic field must be properly identified. The magnetic field is a vector field and its direction has a complicated relationship with the direction of the currents.
simplicity12

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point midway between two long, parallel wires thar are 1.0 m apart and have currents of 10.0 A and 20.0 A, respectively, if the currents are:
a) In opposite directions and
b) in the same direction

Homework Equations

B=kI/(2 pi X r)
B is the magnetic field
k is the proportionality constant... 4pi X 10^-7
and r is the radius

The Attempt at a Solution

When it said that the currents move in opposite directions, i thought that the magnetic field at a point is B(net)= B(2) - B(1), and i got 4.0 X 10^-6 T. When it said that the currents move in the same direction, i did B(net)= B(2) + B(1), and i ended up getting 1.2 X 10^-5 T. But the answer at the back of the book is the opposite, the answer that i got for a turns out to be the answer for b and vice versa... are my equations wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
in fact , you are wrong in directions. try use you right hand to sure when to add or minus

But the answer at the back of the book is the opposite

:wink:

so you calculation must be all right , conside more about it:

When it said that the currents move in opposite directions, i thought that the magnetic field at a point is B(net)= B(2) - B(1), and i got 4.0 X 10^-6 T. When it said that the currents move in the same direction, i did B(net)= B(2) + B(1),

you must distinguish between the diretions of currents and magnetic field .

remember the magnetic field is vector field,its directions has complicated relation with the currents.

does that help, my pretty baby?

thank you very much enricfemi! :D

1. What is Ampere's Law and how does it relate to parallel wires?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. In the case of parallel wires, Ampere's Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field between the wires.

2. What is the formula for solving Ampere's Law for parallel wires?

The formula for solving Ampere's Law for parallel wires is: B = (μ0 * I) / (2 * π * d), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

3. How do you determine the direction of the magnetic field using Ampere's Law for parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field between parallel wires can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one wire and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field outside of the wires?

No, Ampere's Law can only be used to calculate the magnetic field between parallel wires. Outside of the wires, the magnetic field follows a different pattern and a different equation, known as the Biot-Savart Law, must be used.

5. Are there any limitations to using Ampere's Law for parallel wires?

Yes, Ampere's Law for parallel wires assumes that the wires are infinitely long and that they are positioned parallel to each other. Additionally, it only applies to steady currents and does not take into account any external magnetic fields that may be present.