1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ampere's Law of wire

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point midway between two long, parallel wires thar are 1.0 m apart and have currents of 10.0 A and 20.0 A, respectively, if the currents are:
    a) In opposite directions and
    b) in the same direction

2. Relevant equations
    B=kI/(2 pi X r)
    B is the magnetic field
    k is the proportionality constant... 4pi X 10^-7
    and r is the radius

3. The attempt at a solution
    When it said that the currents move in opposite directions, i thought that the magnetic field at a point is B(net)= B(2) - B(1), and i got 4.0 X 10^-6 T. When it said that the currents move in the same direction, i did B(net)= B(2) + B(1), and i ended up getting 1.2 X 10^-5 T. But the answer at the back of the book is the opposite, the answer that i got for a turns out to be the answer for b and vice versa... are my equations wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2
    in fact , you are wrong in directions. try use you right hand to sure when to add or minus

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    :wink:

so you calculation must be all right , conside more about it:

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4
    you must distinguish between the diretions of currents and magnetic field .

remember the magnetic field is vector field,its directions has complicated relation with the currents.

does that help, my pretty baby?

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5
    thank you very much enricfemi! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?