1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ampere's law problem help please

1. Mar 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So a long straight wire lies on a horizontal table and carries a current of 1.2x10^-6A. In a vacuum, a proton moves parallel to the wire(opposite the current) with a constant speed of 2.3x10^4 m/s at a distance d above the wire. Determine the value of d. You may ignore the magnetic field due to the Earth.

2. Relevant equations
    ampere's law
    F(magnetic field)=q(vxB)
    Biot savart law?

3. The attempt at a solution
    So what I did is have the magnetic field formula for a wire, I then substitute this into the magnetic force equation. But now I don't really know where to go from there. Please help. Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Since the proton moves with constant velocity, what must the net force be on it?

4. Mar 11, 2007 #3
    well net force should be zero but then would it mean F(magnetic)= mg or I am not sure what it would be equal to?

5. Mar 11, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You got it.

6. Mar 11, 2007 #5
    oh thanks very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?