Ampere's Law and Choosing a Loop for Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Amperes law in a specific problem and the rules for drawing a loop in order to use the law. The conversation also mentions the symmetry argument and how it applies in this case. The integral of dl is equal to Bw because B and dl are in the same direction.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 8.37.06 PM.png

Homework Equations

Amperes law

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a solution to an old exam and I am confused by the application of amperes law here.
What is the general rule for drawing our "ampere'ian surface" when using amperes law? I thought we have to draw a countour that encloses I and have it in the direction of the bfield created by I

For example, in this question, I don't understand why they drew the contour around the bottom plate like that and in the zx plane. Why is the contour like that? And why is the integral of dl just equal to w? I thought we had to sum the length of the contour. For example if the contour was a circle we would say integral of dl is 2(pi)r.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rule 1: Choose your loop so that current flows through it.
Rule 2: Verify by using a symmetry argument that the B-field is constant on the entire loop and has direction either perpendicular or parallel to the loop (sense of integration).

In this example you can draw the loop either around the bottom plate or the top to satisfy Rule 1. If you draw it around both plates you get zero net current through which by the way says that B-field is zero outside the plates. The symmetry argument is supported by the given "Assume that ... " wording. The integral is Bw because
B⋅dl = B dl since B and dl are in the same direction. Take B out of the integral because it is the same every where between the plates and you have the integral of dl. What is that?

Likes Marcin H
kuruman said:
Rule 1: Choose your loop so that current flows through it.
Rule 2: Verify by using a symmetry argument that the B-field is constant on the entire loop and has direction either perpendicular or parallel to the loop (sense of integration).

In this example you can draw the loop either around the bottom plate or the top to satisfy Rule 1. If you draw it around both plates you get zero net current through which by the way says that B-field is zero outside the plates. The symmetry argument is supported by the given "Assume that ... " wording. The integral is Bw because
B⋅dl = B dl since B and dl are in the same direction. Take B out of the integral because it is the same every where between the plates and you have the integral of dl. What is that?
got it. thanks

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the magnetic field is directly proportional to the electric current and the length of the loop.

2. Who discovered Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law was discovered by French physicist André-Marie Ampère in the early 19th century. He conducted experiments to study the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields and formulated the law based on his findings.

3. What is the mathematical equation for Ampere's Law?

The mathematical equation for Ampere's Law is B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the electric current, and r is the distance from the current-carrying wire to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

4. What is the significance of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It is also used to calculate the magnetic field in various situations, such as around a straight wire, a solenoid, or a toroid.

5. How is Ampere's Law applied in real-life situations?

Ampere's Law is applied in various real-life situations, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the field of medicine, specifically in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology, which relies on the principles of Ampere's Law to create images of the body's internal structures.