Calculating Magnetic Field of a Tight Coil

In summary, a problem is presented involving a 1.88 m long wire carrying 3.1 A that is wound into a loop with a diameter of 0.05 cm. The question is to find the magnetic field at the center of the loop. The user attempted to use Ampere's law but is getting the wrong answer and suspects an incorrect setup. They request for help with the correct equation and a comparison of their work. The conversation is then moved to the Intro Physics forum.
lemaire

Homework Statement

A 1.88 m long wire carrying 3.1 A is wound into a tight, loop shaped coil 0.05 cm in diameter. What is the magnetic field at its center?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I use Ampere's law but i get the wrong answer. I think i did not set up the equation right. Please i need answer with equation so i can compare it to mine not a chat.
Thank you for your comprehension.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post the work that you did, and then we can try to help you. We do not give out answers here on the PF (check the Rules link at the top of the page).

What equations are you using? I'm also moving this thread to Intro Physics.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your homework problem. As a scientist, my goal is to guide and support your understanding of the concepts and equations involved in solving this problem, rather than simply providing you with the answer. I will do my best to explain the steps involved in solving this problem and provide you with the necessary equations.

To calculate the magnetic field at the center of a tight coil, we can use the equation B = μ0nI, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability constant (4π x 10^-7 Tm/A), n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current.

In this problem, we are given the length of the wire (1.88 m), the current (3.1 A), and the diameter of the coil (0.05 cm). We can calculate the number of turns per unit length by dividing the total length of the wire by the circumference of the coil. The circumference can be calculated using the formula C = πd, where d is the diameter of the coil.

Therefore, the number of turns per unit length is n = 1.88 m / (π x 0.05 cm) = 119.4 turns/m. Now, we can plug in all the values into the equation B = μ0nI to calculate the magnetic field at the center of the coil.

B = (4π x 10^-7 Tm/A) x (119.4 turns/m) x (3.1 A) = 1.47 x 10^-4 T

I hope this helps you understand the correct approach to solving this problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps, please do not hesitate to ask. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to not just rely on the answer, but to understand the process and equations involved in solving a problem. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field of a tight coil?

To calculate the magnetic field of a tight coil, you can use the formula B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil.

2. What is the significance of the number of turns in the coil?

The number of turns in the coil determines the strength of the magnetic field. The more turns there are, the stronger the magnetic field will be. This is because each turn contributes to the overall magnetic field strength.

3. How does the current affect the magnetic field strength?

The current flowing through the coil is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases. This relationship is described by the formula B = μ₀nI.

4. Can you use this formula for any type of coil?

Yes, you can use this formula for any type of coil as long as the coil is tightly wound. The formula assumes that the coil is tightly wound, meaning that each turn is close together and parallel to each other. If the coil is not tightly wound, the formula will not accurately calculate the magnetic field strength.

5. How can I measure the magnetic field of a tight coil?

You can measure the magnetic field of a tight coil using a gaussmeter or a Hall probe. These devices can accurately measure the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point. Alternatively, you can also use a compass to detect the direction of the magnetic field lines, which can give you an idea of the strength of the magnetic field.