Can Ampere's Law Still Apply When Whole Solenoid Is Enclosed?

In summary, Ampere's Law is still applicable when the Amperian surface is drawn as a rectangle enclosing a whole solenoid. This is because the sides of the rectangle parallel to the magnetic field will have a non-zero integral due to B and ds being parallel, while the perpendicular sides will have a zero integral. This is because the ideal solenoid has no magnetic field outside, so the integral of the sides outside the solenoid will be zero. However, the direction of current must also be considered, as it can travel in opposite directions on opposite sides of the rectangle. This results in the current canceling out, and both sides of the equation equaling zero.
n77ler

Homework Statement

I want to know why Ampere's Law can sitll be applied/valid if the Amperian surface is drawn as a rectangle which encloses a whole solenoid. Normally the rectangle would just include one side of the solenoid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When only one side of the solenoid is enclosed, Ampere's Law will work because B and ds will be parallel on the side of the rectangle which is inside the solenoid so we can intergrate this to an non-zero value. But I'm confused about when the whole solenoid is enclosed by the rectangle. It is an ideal solenoid so there should be no magnetic field outside the solenoid so the integral of the 2 sides which are parallel to B will be 0. The other two sides are perpendicular to B so they will also = 0. The only reason I can think that Ampere's Law still applies is that all of the current is enclosed so that somehow helps with the solution?

I'm really stuck here, because I keep getting the left side of the equation =0 so I cannot see how the law is still valid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Remember that current has a direction. You have to consider not only how much current goes through the rectangle, but in which direction it goes through.

But I thought it only depended on the direction of B and ds for the left side of the laW?

So the current travels in opposite directions on opposite sides of the rectangle and therefore the current will cancel out? So when we evaluate each side of the rectangle with the intergral involving B and ds we are supposed to get 0 because the right side of the equation is also supposed to equal zero?

1. Can Ampere's Law still apply when the whole solenoid is enclosed?

Yes, Ampere's Law can still apply when the whole solenoid is enclosed. This law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the electric current passing through that loop.

2. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law, named after French physicist Andre-Marie Ampere, is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field produced by an electric current to the electric current itself.

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a helix shape. It is often used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

4. How is Ampere's Law used in solenoids?

Ampere's Law is used in solenoids to calculate the magnetic field strength inside the solenoid. This calculation can be used to determine the strength of an electromagnet or to design a solenoid for a specific application.

5. What are some real-world applications of Ampere's Law and solenoids?

Ampere's Law and solenoids have a wide range of applications in various fields such as electromagnets used in MRI machines, speakers and headphones, electric motors, and particle accelerators. They are also used in everyday devices like doorbells and locking mechanisms.