Exploring Magnetic Fields and Calculating Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses researching and writing a computer program to calculate the magnetic force between two magnets, one fixed and one moving. The use of Ampere's Law and Maxwell's equations is mentioned, with a request for resources that explain how to apply these principles practically in calculating the force between magnets.
uktonybe
Hi.

I am researching magnetic fields and getting no where. I am writing a computer programs to calculate Magnetic force between 2 magnets that can act both + to + and + to -. Given the movement of the magnets, the program will be calculating minute movements and compensating for changes in magnetic field interaction.

One magnet is a fixed and does not move. The second magnet moves in parallel to the first magnet using a curve.

Now, I have looked at Ampere's Law on wiki, Formulas are great but given that it doesn't state how to use it, especially in regards to how small each instance is for a loop.

Given that I need to calculate the Force from when the magnet fields start to contact, second magnet is half exposed to the edge of the first and finally second magnet is fully exposed to first. Also, the second magnet moved at a right angle to the first but ampere's law I sure takes that into account.

What I would like is a link to something that fully explains how to use Ampere's Law, or possibly Maxwell's equations, practically to calculate Gauss Field effect and Repelling/Attracting force in Newtons.

Alternatively, I recommendation for a good textbook that comprehensively explains the principle as well as putting the law's into practice would be good.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force generated by moving electric charges or permanent magnets. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument can detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

3. How do you calculate the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field?

To calculate the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field, you can use the equation F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. This equation is known as the Lorentz force law.

4. What is the right-hand rule in relation to magnetic fields?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of the force on a moving charged particle in a magnetic field. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the force on the particle will be in the direction pointed by your palm.

5. What is the significance of magnetic fields in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many important applications in our everyday lives. They are used in compasses for navigation, electric motors and generators, credit and debit cards, and medical equipment such as MRI machines. They are also essential in generating electricity from renewable sources like wind and hydro power.