1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ampere's law

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    Dear all,

I am trying use Ampere's law and came across a problem which is a result of my lack of understanding.

[itex]\oint[/itex] B.dl=uI
    My lecturer derived the above equation by defining a point in the middle of a potato shaped loop. Where he stated that dl in this case is just rdθ. (r is the line joining dl to the point defined in the middle). And using B=[itex]\frac{uI}{2πr}[/itex] he integrated it with respect to rdθ from θ=0 to 2π to get [itex]\oint[/itex] B.dl=uI.

Now, I am trying to do the same for a circular loop. Obviously I got the same answer uI. But its wrong as it should be [itex]\frac{uI}{2r}[/itex]. The problem is that I am using the same approch he used for the general shape but not getting the same answer. I am using B=[itex]\frac{uI}{2πr}[/itex] where I should actually use B=[itex]\frac{uI}{4πr^{2}}[/itex]

Could someone explain why can't I do that?

P.s sorry if this is messy. It is my first time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2
    I think I got it guys. Mods can close this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook