Calculating Magnetic Field in a Straight Wire of Radius R with Current I

In summary, the question is about calculating the magnetic field inside a straight wire with radius R and current I. The current is uniformly distributed across the cross-sectional area and the magnetic field is a function of distance r from the center of the wire. The solution involves using an imaginary circle called the "amperian loop" and two equations, with the second one being a ratio of the inside and entire areas of the wire.
leelee
Question:
-straight wire with radius R, carrying current I
-current is uniformly distributed across the cross sectional area of wire
-calculate the magnetic field inside wire as function of distance r from the center of the wire

In the solution, there is a picture of the cross section of the wire, and the current is going into the page, ie X.
there is an imaginary circle, "amperian loop" with radius r, inside the wire.
then, B*2*pi*r = u*i_inside (equation 1)
then somehow i_inside = I*(pi*r^2)/(pi*R^2) = I*r^2/R^2 (equation 2)
This i don't understand. I know it something to do with the fact that current is uniformly distibuted, but how to get equation 2?
Is it just a ratio?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Question has been solved in other forum.
Sorry, not too sure how to delete this thread...

Yes, it's just the ratio of Areas (inside / entire)

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field in a straight wire?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field in a straight wire is B = μ0 * I / (2 * π * R), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and R is the radius of the wire.

2. How do I determine the direction of the magnetic field in a straight wire?

The direction of the magnetic field in a straight wire can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the magnetic field in a straight wire be negative?

No, the magnetic field in a straight wire cannot be negative. The direction of the magnetic field can be reversed, but the magnitude will always be positive.

4. How does the magnetic field change if the current or radius of the wire is doubled?

If the current is doubled, the magnetic field will also double. If the radius of the wire is doubled, the magnetic field will decrease by half.

5. How does the magnetic field vary as you move away from the wire?

The magnetic field decreases as you move away from the wire. Specifically, it follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that the farther away you are from the wire, the weaker the magnetic field will be.