Amperiometric Sensor: Learn How It Works Internally

In summary, an amperiometric cell with 3 electrodes (working, reference, and counter) in an electrolyte works by having a redox reaction occur at the working electrode, releasing electrons which then flow through an external circuit to the counter electrode. The reference electrode, which has a fixed potential, helps maintain a 0 bias potential between the working and reference electrodes. Further information on the internal workings of amperiometric sensors can be found by researching specifically about them. In the scenario of 2 electrodes (anode and cathode) connected by an external circuit with known oxidation potentials, a difficult redox reaction may require the anode to be at a higher potential in order for current to flow from the anode to the cathode
ervays
Hi,

I'm trying to understand how an amperiometric cell with 3 electrodes(working, reference, counter. All of them inside a electrolyte) works.

Till this point I get that when a gas reaches the working electrode a redox reaction happen and then it release electrons or charges that would cross through an external circuit to the counter that will make the opposite reaction to consume produce electrons.

I can't reach to understand what is the reference electrode or why it has to have a fixed potencial, or why the bias potential should be 0 between working and reference.

Summing up, is there anyone who has some information or knows where to find information about how an amperiometric sensors works internally(works very specifically).

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi again,

I've been digging around on how amperiometric sensors works and I found a big problem for me to understand.Scenario: 2 electrodes anode and cathode. Connected each other by an external circuit. We know oxidation potential of both. So we can calculate the potential difference.

Now, this is the part that I don't understand, let's say that we have a difficult redox reaction(don't know what does it mean) and now we need to have the anode at a higher potential in order to have the current flowing from the anode to the cathode. What does this means?

1. What is an amperiometric sensor and how does it work?

An amperiometric sensor is a type of sensor that measures the current flow in a system. It works by using two electrodes - a working electrode and a reference electrode - to measure the electrical potential difference between them. This potential difference is then converted into a current reading, which can be used to determine the concentration of a specific analyte in the system.

2. What are the components of an amperiometric sensor?

The main components of an amperiometric sensor include the working electrode, reference electrode, electrolyte solution, and an external circuit. The working electrode is typically made of a conductive material such as gold or platinum, while the reference electrode is made of a stable material such as silver/silver chloride. The electrolyte solution is used to facilitate the movement of ions between the electrodes, and the external circuit is used to measure the current flow between the electrodes.

3. How is an amperiometric sensor calibrated?

To calibrate an amperiometric sensor, a known concentration of the analyte is introduced into the system and the resulting current reading is recorded. This process is repeated with different known concentrations of the analyte to create a calibration curve. The unknown concentration of the analyte can then be determined by comparing the current reading to the calibration curve.

4. What are the advantages of using an amperiometric sensor?

Amperiometric sensors offer several advantages, including high sensitivity, fast response time, and the ability to measure a wide range of analytes. They are also relatively simple and cost-effective compared to other types of sensors.

5. What are the applications of amperiometric sensors?

Amperiometric sensors have a wide range of applications in various industries, including biomedical, environmental monitoring, and food safety. They can be used to measure the concentration of various analytes, such as glucose, cholesterol, and heavy metals, in different types of samples, such as blood, water, and food products.