Amphoteric compounds-effect of pH

• Thread starter mesna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the pH of a solution of amino acids depends on the conditions. The amino acid acts as a buffer and the carboxyl group will deproponate in alkaline conditions and the amino group will proponate in acidic solutions. If you are looking for the pH of a solution where the amino acids will be predominantly zwitterions (neutral charge) then you need to find the isoelectric point (pI) of the amino acids. The isoelectric point can be found by averaging the pKa values of each of the ionisable groups on your amino acid (this will give you the pH). As amino acids act as buffers you can use the Henderson-Hasselbach equation to determine the ratio of
mesna
Hello friends!

I have a query for which i have been trying to find an answer for a long time but in vain!

Can anybody tell me how do we find the effect of pH on amphoteric compounds?I am currently working on Amphotericin B which happens to have both the acidic and the amino groups. I need to know how such compounds would behave in solutions with different pH values, especially physiological pH. (The -COOH pka is 5.7 and the -NH2 pka is 10.0).

I would be really really grateful if some1 could answer this question!

Thanks a ton!
Mesna

Physics news on Phys.org
mesna said:
Hello friends!

I have a query for which i have been trying to find an answer for a long time but in vain!

Can anybody tell me how do we find the effect of pH on amphoteric compounds?I am currently working on Amphotericin B which happens to have both the acidic and the amino groups. I need to know how such compounds would behave in solutions with different pH values, especially physiological pH. (The -COOH pka is 5.7 and the -NH2 pka is 10.0).

I would be really really grateful if some1 could answer this question!

Thanks a ton!
Mesna
The pH of a solution of amino acids depends on the conditions. The amino acid acts as a buffer and the carboxyl group will deproponate in alkaline conditions and the amino group will proponate in acidic solutions. If you are looking for the pH of a solution where the amino acids will be predominantly zwitterions (neutral charge) then you need to find the isoelectric point (pI) of the amino acids. The isoelectric point can be found by averaging the pKa values of each of the ionisable groups on your amino acid (this will give you the pH).

As amino acids act as buffers you can use the Henderson-Hasselbach equation to determine the ratio of charged amino groups to non-charged and charged carboxyl groups to non-charged. For example, the ratio of carboxylic acid to carboxyl ions at physiological pH (7.4) is;

[tex]pH = pK_{a} + \log\left( \frac{\left[COO^{-}_{(aq)} \right]}{\left[COOH_{(aq)} \right]}\right)[/tex]

[tex]7.4 = 5.7 + log\left( \frac{\left[COO^{-}_{(aq)} \right]}{\left[COOH_{(aq)} \right]}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\left[COO^{-}_{(aq)} \right]}{\left[COOH_{(aq)} \right]} = 10^{7.4-5.7}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\left[COO^{-}_{(aq)} \right]}{\left[COOH_{(aq)} \right]} = 50.1[/tex]

So at pH 7.4 there are fifty times more carboxyl ions than carboxyl groups. Hope this was helpful.

If you ever to a titration of such amphoteric compounds, you'll find that, for the most part, you'll need to account for the individual acid and base components themselves with respect to pH. That is, as long as the pKa of the groups are adequately separated, you'll completely be concerned with the titration of one group, before the start of the other. Use the H-H equations that Hootenany gave you for each of the acid components for the amino acid.

For example, the pKa for the carboxylic acid group is said to be 5.2 in for your problem, when the pH=5.2 you'll have half of all of the carboxylic acid groups in the acid and conjugate base form and none of the amine groups will be affected, that is all of them will still be protonated. At the pH of 10.0, all of the carboxylic acid groups will be deprotonated (in their conjugate base form) and half and half acid/conjugate acid form for the amine group.

Thank you guys, thanks alot. It really helped.

cheers
Mesna

1. What is an amphoteric compound?

An amphoteric compound is a substance that can act as both an acid and a base, depending on the pH of its environment. This means that it can both donate and accept protons.

2. How does pH affect amphoteric compounds?

The pH of a solution can determine whether an amphoteric compound will act as an acid or a base. At low pH levels, the compound will act as an acid, donating protons. At high pH levels, it will act as a base, accepting protons.

3. Can the pH of a solution be used to control the properties of amphoteric compounds?

Yes, the pH of a solution can be used to control the properties of amphoteric compounds. By adjusting the pH, you can control whether the compound acts as an acid or a base, and therefore control its chemical reactions and properties.

4. How does the structure of an amphoteric compound affect its behavior in different pH environments?

The structure of an amphoteric compound determines its ability to donate or accept protons. Compounds with functional groups such as carboxylic acids or amino groups are more likely to be amphoteric, while compounds without these groups will not exhibit amphoteric behavior.

5. Are there any notable examples of amphoteric compounds?

Yes, there are many examples of amphoteric compounds. Some common examples include amino acids, such as glycine, and metal oxides, such as aluminum oxide. Water is also considered an amphoteric compound, as it can act as both an acid and a base depending on the pH of the solution.