Amplified Stethoscope: Seeking Solutions for Interdisciplinary Sculpture

• Thread starter i.saralynn
  • Start date
In summary, the student is working on a project where they want to connect a stethoscope to a speaker. They plan to use a wooden column to embed the electronics and speakers, with the stethoscopes and cords coming out of the column for use. They have searched for solutions and talked to teachers, but have not found a fool-proof solution yet. They are considering using a microphone embedded in the tubing of an acoustic stethoscope and connecting it to a speaker. They are seeking further help and suggestions, such as purchasing T joints from eBay or using aquarium parts. They also mention a resource for making a high-tech spy stethoscope.
i.saralynn
Hello, I am a student studying interdisciplinary sculpture. I am working on a project right now where I want the head of a stethoscope to connect to a speaker. I will need two of these, so at least two people can hear their hearts beating together at the same time. My idea is to have a rectangular column made of wood where I will embed the electronics/speakers. The stethoscopes and attached cords will come out of the column, enabling people to pick them up and use them.

Is this possible?
What kind of microphone can pick up the sounds from a stethoscope?

The attempt at a solution:
I have already searched the web for solutions and talked to teachers. So far I have not found a fool-proof solution. I have looked at acoustic and electronic/amplified stethoscopes. It seems that the best route will be to take the head of an acoustic stethoscope and embed a microphone into the tubing somehow which will then somehow connect to a speaker/microphone. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it should be possible to connect the chest end of two stethoscopes to a single microphone using suitable tubing. Perhaps try a local pet shop or online for acquarium parts? I've purchased T joints from ebay in the past.

Perhaps see also..

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-high-tech-spy-stethoscope

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an amplified stethoscope?

An amplified stethoscope is a modified version of a traditional stethoscope that is designed to amplify the sound of the heart and lung sounds for improved listening and analysis. It is often used in medical settings but can also be used for artistic and scientific purposes in the form of interdisciplinary sculpture.

2. How does an amplified stethoscope work?

An amplified stethoscope works by using a microphone to pick up the sound from the chest piece and then amplifying it through an electronic circuit. This amplified sound is then transmitted to headphones or speakers for the user to hear more clearly and accurately.

3. What are the benefits of using an amplified stethoscope?

The main benefit of using an amplified stethoscope is improved sound quality and amplification, which can make it easier for healthcare professionals to hear and diagnose heart and lung conditions. In the context of interdisciplinary sculpture, it can also add a unique and interactive element to the artwork.

4. How is an amplified stethoscope used in interdisciplinary sculpture?

In interdisciplinary sculpture, an amplified stethoscope can be used as a tool for creating interactive and immersive installations. It can be incorporated into sculptures and installations to create a sensory experience for viewers, allowing them to listen to and interact with the artwork in a unique way.

5. Are there any limitations to using an amplified stethoscope?

One limitation of using an amplified stethoscope is that it may not be suitable for use in all medical situations, as it can amplify external noises and may not be as effective in noisy environments. In terms of interdisciplinary sculpture, the use of an amplified stethoscope may also require technical expertise and may not be accessible to all artists or viewers.