Solve Amplitude & Period Homework: Spring Constant k=74 N/m, Mass 490 g

In summary, a massless spring with a spring constant of 74 N/m is hanging from the ceiling. A 490 g mass is hooked onto the unstretched spring and allowed to drop. To find the amplitude, you can use conservation of energy or calculate the extension using Hook's law. The period of the resulting motion can be found using the formula T = 2*PI * sqrt ( L / g ), where omega is equal to sqrt (k / m). Alternatively, you can also use the formula omega = sqrt (k / m) to find the amplitude, and then use the formula v = omega * A to calculate the velocity.
nightshade123

Homework Statement

A massless spring of spring constant k = 74 N/m is hanging from the ceiling. a 490 g mass is hooked onto the unstretched spring and allowed to drop.

A) Find the amplitude
B) Find the period of the resulting motion

Homework Equations

f = 1/T
F=-kx
x(t) = Acos (omega) t
omega = sqrt( k / m )
x(t) = Acos(omega * t + phi )
omega = sqrt ( g / L )
T = 2*PI * sqrt ( L / g )

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost in this chapter and have no idea where to start, i was curious if someone could help step me through this problem, would help me a ton.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
for part b)

omega = sqrt (k / m)

freq = omega / (2PI)

T = 1/freq

i can't figure out how to find amplitude

Hi nightshade123,

Try using conservation of energy at the highest and lowest points.

at the highest and lowest points v = 0 and Potential Energy is at its max and kinetic energy is 0

i know i have this eqns

E = U + K

U = 1/2 K A^2 (cos(omega t ))^2
K = 1/2 K A^2 (sin(omega t ))^2
E = 1/2 K A^2

1/2kx + 1/2mv = 1/2kA

kx + mv = kA

v = 0

kx = kA

x=A

F = -k * x

x = - F/k

F = mg

x = (mg)/k

x = A

The amplitude is the maximum extension in the spring.
Calculate omega using omega = (k/m)^1/2.
Now calculate extension using hook's law.
Now for max extension = kx^2=mv^2
Calculate velocity.Now use v= omega*Amplitude to get amplitude.
Time period = 2pi/omega.

you don't have to do all that work A = x work it out yourself. A = .065 m thanks for the help tho

nightshade123,

nightshade123 said:
1/2kx + 1/2mv = 1/2kA

kx + mv = kA

v = 0

kx = kA

x=A

This part isn't quite right. In the formula for the energies the x, v, and A have to be squared. Also, you get x=A but it doesn't tell you what either of them is. The problem is in setting up the equation like this (where x=0 at the equilibrium point).

Instead you could try setting up the equation with x=0 at the spring's unstretched point which would then explicitly include gravity in the energy equation. Letting x=0 and h=0 at the higest point, and setting energy to be conserved between the higest and lowest points gives:

[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{1}{2}k x_i^2 + mgh_i &=\frac{1}{2}k x_f^2 + mgh_f\nonumber\\
0+0 &= \frac{1}{2} k x^2 + m g (-x)\nonumber
\end{align}
[/tex]

Solving this for the (nonzero) value of x would give the entire range of motion from highest to lowest point; the amplitude would be half of that.

nightshade123 said:
F = -k * x

x = - F/k

F = mg

x = (mg)/k

x = A

This alternative method looks good. The distance from the highest point to the equilibrium position is the amplitude and so the x value you found here equals A.

1. What is the formula for amplitude and period in a spring system?

The formula for amplitude is A = F/k, where A is the amplitude, F is the force applied, and k is the spring constant. The formula for period is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object on the spring, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do you solve for the amplitude and period in a spring system with a given spring constant and mass?

To solve for the amplitude, plug in the given values for force and spring constant into the formula A = F/k. To solve for the period, plug in the given values for mass and spring constant into the formula T = 2π√(m/k).

3. What is the value of the amplitude and period in this specific problem with k=74 N/m and mass=490 g?

To solve for the amplitude, we need to know the force applied. Without that information, we cannot determine the value of the amplitude. However, we can solve for the period using the given values: T = 2π√(0.490 kg/74 N/m) ≈ 0.46 seconds.

4. How does changing the spring constant affect the amplitude and period in a spring system?

A higher spring constant (k) will result in a smaller amplitude and a shorter period, while a lower spring constant will result in a larger amplitude and a longer period.

5. Is there a limit to the amplitude and period in a spring system?

Yes, there is a limit to the amplitude and period in a spring system. As the amplitude increases, the spring will eventually reach its elastic limit and become permanently deformed. Similarly, as the period decreases, the spring will reach its natural frequency and begin to vibrate uncontrollably.