1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude in pendulum motion

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    Amplitude in pendulum motion....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

w = [tex]\frac{g}{L}[/tex]

T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

I[tex]\left(\frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}\right)[/tex] = -mgL[tex]\theta[/tex]

x(t) = Acos(wt) ??

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck on this problem. I haven't worked with harmonic motion enough yet to grasp it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need a hand on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

At the lowermost position of the mass of the pendulum the tension on the string is equal to the centripetal reaction. i.e. T= mv^2/r. You can find the velocity by using the conservation of energy. i.e. K.E = P.E.

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

So, where are you putting the weight of the mass at the lowermost position?

5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the pendulum the mass is swinging. During the swing when the mass crosses the lowermost point, the tension in string is maximum and it is equal to mv^2/r + mg According to the conservation of energy 1/2*m*v^2 = mgh, where h is the height from mthe lower point from which the mass of the pendulum is released. If you know you can find the amplitude.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. Nov 18, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Incorrect. There are two forces acting on the mass at that point; tension is one of them. (This was Shooting star's point.) The net force equals mv^2/r.

Right!

7. Nov 18, 2007 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Right. Tension = mv^2/r + mg.

8. Nov 18, 2007 #7
    wow, so it turns out that we don't need to use any concepts from this particular chapter. I was actually onto this the way you guys described it, but then i said to myself that we must have to use some formula or something from this chapter. I guess not.

T = [tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/tex] + mg --->

v = [tex]\sqrt{r\left(\frac{T}{m} - g\right)}[/tex]

v = 1 m/s --->

E[tex]_{i}[/tex] = E[tex]_{f}[/tex]

mgh = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] --->

h = [tex]\frac{v^{2}}{2g}[/tex] --->

h = 0.05m --->

then from my free body diagram

0.45 - 0.05 = 0.40m

cos[tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\left(\frac{0.40}{0.45}\right)[/tex] = 27.27[tex]^{o}[/tex]

The textbook answer is 27.16[tex]^{0}[/tex]. I always get answers that are a little off from the text. Calculators?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?