Amplitude of an oscillating electric field

In summary, the amplitude of the oscillating electric field at your cell phone decreases to 2.0 μV/m when you are 20 km east of the broadcast antenna. This is due to the inverse square law, where the intensity drops off as 1/r^2. There is no need for any calculations as the amplitude is proportional to the square root of the intensity.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
The amplitude of the oscillating electric field at your cell phone is 4.0 μV/m when you are 10 km east of the broadcast antenna. What is the electric field amplitude when you are 20 km east of the antenna
Relevant Equations
electric field
Homework Statement: The amplitude of the oscillating electric field at your cell phone is 4.0 μV/m when you are 10 km east of the broadcast antenna. What is the electric field amplitude when you are 20 km east of the antenna
Homework Equations: electric field

i've done

E=##\frac A {r^\left(2\right)}##

that in this case is ##4 \times 10^\left(-6 \right)=\frac A {10000^2} ##
i solve for A
##A= 4 \times 10^\left(-6\right) \times 10000^2##
then i divide ##A## by ##20000^2##
but i do not get the right result, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The intensity drops off as ##1/r^2##, not the field.

Doc Al said:
The intensity drops off as ##1/r^2##, not the field.
Do i have to look in electromagnetic waves formulas?
##E\left(x,t\right)=E_0sin\left(kx-\omega t \right)##

in the data given there is not power so i cannot divide it by the half sphere surface, in order to get the intensity end from there the amplitude.

ok i got it
I start from this

##I=\frac 1 2 \times \epsilon_0 \times E^2##

##I= \frac P {half \space sphere \space area}##

## P=\frac {4 \times \pi \times r^2} 2 \times I##

in such way i get the power of the wave
dividing it by the half sphere area with radius 20000 meters i get the new average intensity
then

##E=\sqrt { \frac {I \times 2} {\epsilon_0 \times c}}\space## with ##\space c=3\times 10^8##

No need for any calculation. Since the distance doubles, the intensity drops to 1/4. Since the amplitude of the field is proportional to the square root of the intensity, you can immediately find the new amplitude.

1. What is the amplitude of an oscillating electric field?

The amplitude of an oscillating electric field refers to the maximum strength or magnitude of the electric field as it oscillates over time. It is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) or newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the amplitude of an oscillating electric field calculated?

The amplitude of an oscillating electric field can be calculated by determining the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the electric field over one complete cycle of oscillation. This value represents the peak strength of the electric field.

3. What factors can affect the amplitude of an oscillating electric field?

The amplitude of an oscillating electric field can be affected by a variety of factors, including the strength of the source of the electric field, the distance from the source, and any intervening materials or barriers that may alter the electric field's strength.

4. How does the amplitude of an oscillating electric field relate to the frequency and wavelength?

The amplitude of an oscillating electric field is directly proportional to both the frequency and wavelength of the electric field. This means that as the frequency or wavelength increases, the amplitude also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the amplitude of an oscillating electric field be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of an oscillating electric field can be negative. This occurs when the electric field changes direction during its oscillation, resulting in a negative value for the amplitude. However, the negative amplitude still represents the maximum strength of the electric field in that direction.