1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude of Oscillation

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 100 g ball is attached to a spring with spring constant 2.5 N/m oscillates horizontally on a frictionless table. Its velocity is 20 cm/s when x = -5.0 cm. What is the amplitude of the oscillation?

2. Relevant equations

x = Acos(ωt +φ )
    V= -ωAcos(ωt +φ )

3. The attempt at a solution

ω = Square root (k/m) = 5 rad/s
    -0.05 = Acos(ωt +φ )
    0.2 = -ωAcos(ωt +φ )

Not sure how to solve for A

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2
    To begin, you need to go back to your (relevant) equations. You have a differentiation mistake there that makes lit impossible to proceed correctly. Get this straight, and the solution for A should become evident using the Pythagorean trig identity.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    can I get φ clarified is it a constant? I know Acos(ωt+kx) is standard for traveling wave, however I am not certain of SHO for a spring what φ is.

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4
    When an expression is written in that form, the implication is that phi is the phase angle, a constant. Evidently that was not explicitly stated, and it rarely is, but that is usually what is intended.

6. Dec 14, 2008 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

V= -ωAcos(ωt +φ )

This expression is wrong. Check it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?