Calculating Amplitude of Oscillation for Colliding Objects on a Spring

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a sandwich made with 0.300 kg of Italian ham and a plate with a mass of 0.400 kg placed on a vertical spring with a force constant of 200 N/m. The slices of ham make a totally inelastic collision with the plate, causing it to oscillate in vertical simple harmonic motion. The question is asking for the amplitude of oscillation (A) of the scale after the collision, which can be solved using the equation y(t) = Acos(omega*t + phi) and setting the initial position (y_0) and initial velocity (v_0) to 0. The amplitude can be calculated using the equation A = sqrt((2
ussrasu
For lunch you and your friends decide to stop at the nearest deli and have a sandwich made fresh for you with 0.300 kg of Italian ham. The slices of ham are weighed on a plate of mass 0.400 kg placed atop a vertical spring of negligible mass and force constant of 200 N/m. The slices of ham are dropped on the plate all at the same time from a height of 0.250 m. They make a totally inelastic collision with the plate and set the scale into vertical simple harmonic motion (SHM). You may assume that the collision time is extremely small.

What is the amplitude of oscillation (A) of the scale after the slices of ham land on the plate? Express your answer numerically in meters and take free-fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2 .

Any help on how to solve this question would be appreciated - I am not sure how to solve it using y(t) = Acos(omega*t + phi). How do you determine the initial position y_0 and initial velocity v_0 from this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how to work out the amplitude - i have tried using mgh = 1/2kA^2, but I am still getting the wrong answer? Where am i doing something wrong? I get A = sqrt((2*m*g*h)/k) where m = 0.7, g = 9.8, h = 0.25 and k = 200?

Please look at the other thread and continue the discussion there.

What is the definition of amplitude of oscillation?

The amplitude of oscillation refers to the maximum displacement of a particle or system from its equilibrium position during one cycle of oscillation. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the oscillation.

How is the amplitude of oscillation related to the frequency and period?

The amplitude of oscillation is not directly related to the frequency or period. However, the amplitude can affect the period of oscillation, with larger amplitudes resulting in longer periods.

What factors can affect the amplitude of oscillation?

The amplitude of oscillation can be affected by various factors, including the initial displacement, the restoring force, the mass of the system, and any external forces acting on the system.

What is the difference between amplitude of oscillation and displacement?

The amplitude of oscillation refers to the maximum displacement from equilibrium, while displacement refers to the distance from equilibrium at any given time. The amplitude is a constant value, while displacement changes over time.

How is the amplitude of oscillation measured?

The amplitude of oscillation can be measured using various methods, such as using a ruler to measure the distance between the equilibrium position and the maximum displacement, or using sensors and data collection tools to track the motion of the oscillating object.