Calculating Amplitude of a Simple Pendulum

In summary, the problem involves a simple pendulum with a spherical bob attached to a string. The mass of the bob is 0.052 kg and the diameter is 1.1 cm, while the string has a length of 920 mm. The bob is released at rest with the string at an angle of 5 degrees to the vertical. The question asks to calculate the amplitude of the oscillation, which would depend on the total length of the pendulum and the specific point being measured on the pendulum. Possible interpretations of "amplitude" include the length of the pendulum times the angle in radians, the distance from the pivot point down to the height of the top of the pendulum at its highest point, or
Mattmiles

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum consists of a spherical bob of mass 0.052 kg and diameter 1.1 cm attached to a thread of length 920 mm.

b) The bob is released at rest with the thread taut at an angle of 5 degrees to the vertical. Calculate:
i) the amplitude of the oscillation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I right in saying it is tan(5) * 920 = 80mm round to 2 sig fig?

Physics news on Phys.org
First we would need more information. I assume the string is attached at the top of the ball. Is that correct? So the total length of the pendulum is 93.1 cm? Where, on the pendulum are you measing to? The top, center, or bottom of the ball? And, what exactly do you mean by "amplitude"- the height the pendulum rises, the horizontal distance it covers, or the length of the arc? The last is the one I would assume but that is just the length of the pendulum times the angle in radians. And none is length times sin(5 degrees). That is the distance from the pivot point down to the height of the top of the pendulum at its highest point. The height it rises, the first of the three choices I mention, would be the length of the pendulum minus that.

1. What is the amplitude of a pendulum?

The amplitude of a pendulum is the maximum angle that the pendulum swings away from its resting position. It is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How does the amplitude affect the period of a pendulum?

The amplitude has a direct effect on the period of a pendulum. As the amplitude increases, the period also increases. This means that the pendulum will take longer to complete one swing.

3. Can the amplitude of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the amplitude of a pendulum can be changed by altering the length of the pendulum or by changing the force acting on the pendulum. The longer the pendulum, the larger the amplitude will be.

4. What is the relationship between the amplitude and the energy of a pendulum?

The amplitude and energy of a pendulum have a direct relationship. As the amplitude increases, the potential energy of the pendulum also increases. This means that the pendulum will swing higher and have more kinetic energy.

5. How does air resistance affect the amplitude of a pendulum?

Air resistance can decrease the amplitude of a pendulum by slowing down the pendulum's swing and reducing its energy. This is why pendulums are often used in vacuum chambers to eliminate the effects of air resistance.