What is the amplitude of a sine wave?

In summary, to find the amplitude of V(t), you can factor the arguments and find points where they all equal 2npi for some integer n. This will give you the maximum values of the cosines which you can then use to find the amplitude as the sum of the individual amplitudes. However, finding the exact argument for these maximum values may require more complex methods such as series expansion or numerical approximation.
jeffy
Hi,

I want to calculate the amplitude of the following:

V(t) = Acos(2wt)+Bcos(3wt)+Ccos(4wt)+Dcos(5wt)

Not really sure what approach I can take to do this. I was thinking of using some combination of the double angle formula to simplify each part, but I don't think that will necessarily help me find the amplitude of V(t)

suggestions?

tia

edit: wanted to add that each of the cosines actually has an associated phase, but for demonstration purposes, i did not include them here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Conceptually, for two terms you would have:

f(t) = A*cos(awt + @) + B*cos(bwt + ß)
Take the derivative to find the extreme and equate to 0:
d/dt f(t) =
-A*sin(awt + @)*aw -B*sin(bwt + ß)*bw = 0
Divide both sides by -w and rearrange
-(A*a)/(B*b)*sin(awt + @) = sin(bwt + ß)
Now you have a nonlinear equation which you have to solve for 't' .
I guess one possible way would be to use series expansion for sin, although i'd rather do 2nd order expansion for cos, by modifying these sines to cos, and doing the expansion around several points, something of the form:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=series+expansion+A*cos(x+a)+around+x=p+order+2
where you can see that you'd then be dealing with 2nd order polynomials.
I guess its a pain doing all that analytically, so I'd rather suggest making some code that'd simply find the amplitude, by checking several points of this summed up function in 1 period.

jeffy said:
Hi,

I want to calculate the amplitude of the following:

V(t) = Acos(2wt)+Bcos(3wt)+Ccos(4wt)+Dcos(5wt)

Not really sure what approach I can take to do this. I was thinking of using some combination of the double angle formula to simplify each part, but I don't think that will necessarily help me find the amplitude of V(t)

suggestions?

tia

edit: wanted to add that each of the cosines actually has an associated phase, but for demonstration purposes, i did not include them here.

If your codomain for t is the whole positive real line, then it would be a lot easier to basically treat it like a number theory problem.

What I mean by this is that your maximum for the cos will happen when the argument = 2npi where n is an integer. Now what you can do is find when all of them meet this requirement at the same point.

This is the same as factorizing the arguments. Let's multiply firstly the coeffecients of the t terms which are 2w,3w,4w,5w which gives us 2wx3wx4wx5w = 90w^4. Now we will need 90w^4t to be 2npi for some integer n. This needs to be solved taking into account the nature of w considering if it is rational, irrational, transcendental and so on.

Lets consider that w = 2 for the moment. Then 90x2^4t = 2npi. Let t = pi, then we get 90x8 = n = 720. If we plug these into your equation we get a value of A+B+C+D at that point which is one maximum value. You could do the same sort of thing to find when you get -(A+B+C+D) at a different set of points.

So in other words, what I am saying is that if you can factor the arguments and get a solution then you can show that the amplitude is always the sum of the amplitudes and this should always happen if you are considering sums of cosines or sines over a real domain.

If you want to find the argument, this is a different matter though.

1. What is the amplitude of a sine wave?

The amplitude of a sine wave is the maximum displacement of the wave from its mean or equilibrium position. It is measured in units of distance or voltage, depending on the context of the wave.

2. How is the amplitude of a sine wave related to its energy?

The amplitude of a sine wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy of the wave also increases. This relationship can be seen in the equation E=1/2mv2, where m is the mass of the wave and v is the velocity, which is directly related to the amplitude.

3. Can the amplitude of a sine wave be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of a sine wave can be negative. This means that the wave is inverted or flipped upside down. The negative amplitude does not affect the energy of the wave, but it does change the direction of its motion.

4. How does the amplitude affect the frequency of a sine wave?

The amplitude of a sine wave does not affect its frequency. The frequency of a sine wave is determined by the rate at which the wave oscillates or repeats itself, and it is not affected by the amplitude. However, changes in the amplitude can affect the shape and appearance of the wave.

5. What are some real-life examples of sine waves with different amplitudes?

Sine waves with different amplitudes can be seen in many natural phenomena, such as sound waves, water waves, and light waves. For example, the amplitude of a sound wave determines its loudness, and the amplitude of a water wave determines its height. In electronics, the amplitude of a sine wave is important in determining the strength of an electrical signal in a circuit.