Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitudes of particles

1. Sep 8, 2004 #1
    What, if anything, determines the amplitude of a sub-atomic particle. A specific question is do all photons have the same amplitude? I would assume that at least photons of same color do, since i can observe the destructive interference.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2004 #2
    I guess that by amplitude you mean energy. In that case they do not have same energy. Photons are just particle/"wave impulse". Their energy is defined by process that spawned them and there are no limits (other than available energy of course).
    It goes for all other particles they don't have only one well defined energy level.

In case of same colour photons you are right. Their energy is probably very similar.

4. Sep 8, 2004 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The amplitude of an e/m wave at a particular point is dependant on the photon flux at that point. Photons themselves do not constitute amplitude in a classical sense.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?