1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amtrak's 20th-Century Limited is in route from Chicago to New York at 112 km/h, when,

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Amtrak's 20th-Century Limited is in route from Chicago to New York at 112 km/h, when the engineer spots a cow on the track. The train brakes to a halt in 2.3 min, stopping in front of the cow.

a) What is the magnitude of the train's (constant) acceleration?
    _______m/s^2 <-----(0.22m/s^2) Correct

b) What is the direction of the acceleration?
    - eastward
    - westward <-----Correct
    - southward
    - northward

c) How far was the train from the cow when the engineer first applied the brakes?
    ______km

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a) and b) correct but I can't figure out c).

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2
    Re: Amtrak's 20th-Century Limited is in route from Chicago to New York at 112 km/h, w

reverse it. imagine the train is accelerating at 0.22 m/s/s

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Amtrak's 20th-Century Limited is in route from Chicago to New York at 112 km/h, w

First what equation do you know that relates distance acceleration and time?

(Btw, I think the 20th Century Limited stopped running in 1967. Today it's the Lake Shore Limited that runs the route.)

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

I know this equation but I get the wrong answer: d=(vf^2-vi^2)/2a

6. Aug 29, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I would have simply used the x = 1/2 a t2 relationship.

x = 1/2 * .22544 * (138 sec)2

The other equation works as well

x = (31.111)2/(2*(.22544))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?