What is the Mole & Its Relation to AMU & Molar Mass

In summary, the mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent the amount of a substance. It is related to atomic mass units (AMU) through the concept of molar mass, which is the mass of one mole of a substance in grams. Molar mass is different from atomic mass in that it takes into account the mass of all isotopes of an element and is expressed in grams per mole. The mole is used to calculate molar mass by multiplying the atomic mass of each element by its respective number of atoms in a compound. It is important to know the molar mass of a substance for accurate measurements and calculations, as well as for determining the amount needed for reactions and solutions.
wajed
what is the relation between AMU & Mole?

also what is the difference between "Molar mass" and "mass"

and please, what is mole? I read this on Wikipedia.com:
"It is a common misconception that the mole is defined in terms of the Avogadro constant. It is not necessary to know the number of atoms or molecules which are present in order to use the mole as a unit of measurement,[5] and indeed the first measurements of amount of substance predate modern atomic theory and any measurements of atomic weight"

and I don`t get it, what is mole after all? and why is it a misconception to define mole in terms of Avogadro constant? and how does mole exactly "work"?

I know, lots of questions, I`m just pretty much confused, even my doctor didn't help me... I brought him a paper, and the first thing he wrote was "mole = molar mass", and I was like, Does mole equal molar mass?! is that an equal sign?! and he said "yes"!

Physics news on Phys.org
scratch the second question, which is "what is the difference between...", I understand that now..

A mole is a measurement of an amount of things. Like a dozen or a pair. It's 6.023 * 10^23 particles. You could say you want a mole of eggs or a dozen hydrogens, same type of measurement.

Molar Mass is how much one mole weighs of a particular compound. You can have a mole of hydrogen and a mole of helium but the mole of helium is going to way twice as much because a hydrogen has 1 proton+neutron whereas the helium has 2 proton+neutron pairs.

The AMU is a unit of mass measurement on the atomic scale.

1 mole of 1 AMU weights out to 1 gram. By knowing the AMU of an atom or compound you automatically know its molar mass.

but doesn`t that contrast with this quote:
"It is a common misconception that the mole is defined in terms of the Avogadro constant. It is not necessary to know the number of atoms or molecules which are present in order to use the mole as a unit of measurement,[5] and indeed the first measurements of amount of substance predate modern atomic theory and any measurements of atomic weight"
??

wajed said:
but doesn`t that contrast with this quote:
??

Typical wikipedia. Over-edited into conflating various statements into something that's essentially wrong.

Yes, it's true that historically people used 'moles' that weren't modern 'moles'. And it's true that you can do most chemistry just fine without knowing the exact number of molecules involved - but rather work in terms of proportions; which is what they initially did.

But the modern 'mole' is defined in terms of Avogadro's constant.

So what's the difference between "old" moles and "new" moles? giving a keyword that I can use to search in google is enough, if you like

I would like you to see this page please: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit )
because the standard definition doesn't mention "Avogadro`s number"

Last edited by a moderator:
See http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/current.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
But the modern 'mole' is defined in terms of Avogadro's constant.

Not the official definition but certainly the concept is related to Avogadro's number.

Definition:

mole - The mole is the amount of substance of a system which contains as many elementary entities as there are atoms in 0.012 kilogram of carbon 12; its symbol is "mol."

Avogadro's number - The number of atoms or molecules needed to make up a mass equal to the substance's atomic or molecular mass, in grams. It happens to be 0.0012 kilograms of Carbon-12.

chemisttree said:
It happens to be 0.0012 kilograms of Carbon-12.

I think you meant to type 0.012 kg ?

Yes, of course.

1. What is the mole and why is it important in chemistry?

The mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent the amount of a substance. It is important because it allows scientists to measure and compare the number of atoms or molecules in a given sample, which is crucial for understanding chemical reactions and properties.

2. How is the mole related to atomic mass units (AMU)?

The mole and AMU are related through the concept of molar mass. Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance in grams. One mole of any element has a mass in grams that is equal to its atomic mass in AMU. This relationship allows for easy conversion between moles and AMU.

3. What is the difference between molar mass and atomic mass?

Molar mass is a measure of the mass of one mole of a substance, while atomic mass is the mass of an individual atom of an element. Molar mass is expressed in grams per mole, while atomic mass is expressed in atomic mass units (AMU). Additionally, molar mass takes into account the mass of all isotopes of an element, while atomic mass usually only considers the most common isotope.

4. How is the mole used to calculate molar mass?

To calculate molar mass, the mass of each element in a compound is multiplied by its respective number of atoms, as indicated by the chemical formula. This gives the total mass of the compound in grams per mole. For example, the molar mass of water (H2O) can be calculated by multiplying the atomic mass of hydrogen (1 AMU) by 2, and the atomic mass of oxygen (16 AMU) by 1, giving a molar mass of 18 grams per mole.

5. Why is it important to know the molar mass of a substance?

Knowing the molar mass of a substance is important for several reasons. It allows for the conversion between moles and grams, which is necessary for accurate measurements and calculations in chemistry. It also provides information about the composition of a substance, as the molar mass is directly related to the mass of its individual atoms or molecules. Additionally, molar mass is used to determine the amount of a substance needed for a reaction or to create a certain concentration in a solution.