What is the Relationship Between Amylose and Amylopectin in Starch Formation?

• Thread starter wenxian
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect statement that the formation of amylose and amylopectin releases energy. The concept of condensation and its relation to energy release is also brought up. However, it is clarified that not all bond formations release energy, as seen in the example of ATP.
wenxian
based on the statement~ '' Formation of amylose and amylopectin release energy.. ''
and i was told tat this statement is incorrect..
wat is meant by " formation of amylose and amylopectin " ? Is this a condensation of starch?
if so,the process of condensation release energy, isn't it?? :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
wenxian said:
if so,the process of condensation release energy, isn't it?? :confused:

No, condensation reactions require energy.

i m so sorry that i could not understand..
condensation is a process to form bond between diff molecules to become an even more complex structure..
so, bond formation release energy,isn't it?

wenxian said:
i m so sorry that i could not understand..
condensation is a process to form bond between diff molecules to become an even more complex structure..
so, bond formation release energy,isn't it?

Yes but bonds are also broken in the process. A glycosidic linkage requires the net breaking of OH from one monomer and an H from an OH of the other.

Btw, all bond formation does not release energy. An obvious example is ATP. ATP --> ADP + Pi releases energy because in ATP the covalent bond between the phosphates was strained due to like charge repulsion and there is also a net increase in entropy in ADP due to increased spatial randomization of the molecule.

thank you so muc!
i have got what u were trying to explain to me..:smile:

1. What are amylose and amylopectin?

Amylose and amylopectin are two types of polysaccharides that make up starch, a complex carbohydrate found in many foods such as potatoes, rice, and grains. They are both made up of glucose molecules, but differ in their structure and properties.

2. What is the difference between amylose and amylopectin?

Amylose is a linear chain of glucose molecules, while amylopectin is a branched chain. This branching gives amylopectin a larger surface area, making it easier to break down and digest. Amylose also forms a helical structure, while amylopectin forms a more open, globular structure.

3. How are amylose and amylopectin digested?

Amylose is broken down by the enzyme amylase, which breaks the bonds between glucose molecules. This process produces maltose, a disaccharide made up of two glucose molecules. Amylopectin is broken down in a similar way, but because of its branching, it is broken down faster and produces a mix of maltose and glucose.

4. What foods are high in amylose and amylopectin?

Foods that are high in starch, such as potatoes, rice, and grains, contain both amylose and amylopectin. Some foods may have a higher proportion of one type over the other, such as corn, which has a higher amount of amylopectin compared to amylose.

5. Are amylose and amylopectin beneficial to our diet?

Yes, amylose and amylopectin provide a source of complex carbohydrates, which are important for energy production and maintaining a healthy digestive system. They also contribute to the feeling of fullness after a meal, helping to control appetite and prevent overeating.