Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An absolute beginner

1. Mar 12, 2007 #1
    hi
    i simply know nothing about programming languages and related stuff, but i really want to learn one, c or c++, i don't know where to start
    can you please tell what to do and where to start, websites, books.........
    please help:cry:
    i appreciate ur help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2007 #2
    There's a "Programming Resources" sticky just above your topic. Have you looked there?

4. Mar 12, 2007 #3
    http://www.cprogramming.com/

That seems a nice place to start.

5. Mar 12, 2007 #4
    That is nice. I think I'll get into it, too, now.

6. Mar 12, 2007 #5
    Definitely learn C++ if you're choosing between that and C. It's an excellent skill to have. It shows that you can possess a higher level of thinking and that you can write algorithms to solve real-life problems.

7. Mar 16, 2007 #6
    thanks neutrino!
    thanks a lot

8. Mar 21, 2007 #7
    I would say C++ is the best route. Especially since all of the c language is contained in C++. C++ is also good because several other languages are derivatives of it such as Java. Java share a lot of similarities to C++ in its syntax.

9. Mar 21, 2007 #8
    Java is NOT a derivate of C++!

For learning programming or a new computer skill I have the following algorithm: Go to the library, pick at least 5 books on the subject that look promising, read a few pages of each book,borrow the book that suites you best(I value simplicity and clarity of presentation the most).

I am a big fan of books written by Cay Horstmann so I would probably go with Big C++[1]. Most computer books are over priced so I prefer the library.

[1] http://he-cda.wiley.com/WileyCDA/HigherEdTitle/productCd-0471470635.html

10. Mar 21, 2007 #9
    Java is a derivative see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Programming_Language_language

Oh and here is another good read
    http://ei.cs.vt.edu/book/chap1/java_hist.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  11. Mar 22, 2007 #10
    You gotta be kiding me.

Porhaps you were not reading the article very good, it is written "The language itself derives much of its syntax from C and C++"[1]. There is a difference between deriving syntax in contrast to deriving the language and platform itself.

Note C++ and Java are different in nature. For instance Java is compiled into bytecode, has different OOP model(class can only extend one Class, note there is different syntax for "extends" in C++ it would be the cryptic ":"), Java is run on VM which provides Garbage Collection, C++ is different.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Programming_Language_language

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  12. Mar 22, 2007 #11
    Ultimately this amounts to a semantic quibble over what "derived" means.
    It could go on indefinitely if we wish to invoke an appeal to popularity fallacy; Googling 'Java "derived from C++"' without single-quotes comes to a Google estimate of 1.02 million results. I suppose some of them could be "Java is not derived from C++" -- although a search for 'Java "not derived from C++"' gets us only 3 results, two of which don't address the issue and actually say "C# was not derived from C++". I don't feel like checking all other possible negations, like "wasn't derived from C++".

Java began as a set of extensions to C++, and eventually it was decided that it was better to start a new language in its own right. In that sense, it was not bubbled away from C++ entirely. It also draws influences from other languages that were derived in part from C++, so it too is derivative by transitivity. Not to mention that syntax being derived from C++ means that Java IS, in part, derived from C++. The "difference between deriving syntax in contrast to deriving the language and platform itself" is precisely that deriving syntax is more specific.

Java and C++ are very different. Nevertheless, understanding one greatly aids in understanding the other.

13. Mar 22, 2007 #12
    Your words: "Java and C++ are very different". How can that be true if the former is the derivate of the latter?

Maybe it would be more correct to say that Java was influenced by C++. But never mind. Waste of posts for this.

Couldn't resist: "C# was not derived from C++" should this be true that would mean that Java was not derived from C++ since C# was derived from Java.

14. Mar 22, 2007 #13
    If you want to learn programming I would definitly not recommed you start with C++.

I would recommend you start with Java. It is well-designed and object oriented. From here you could expand to other languages.

As an alternative to Java, you might opt for, the relatively new language, called Ruby, which might replace Java in the future. It is a bit richer in object oriented features than Java.

15. Mar 22, 2007 #14
    start with some scripting before you start programing. Some Bash scripting would be good IMHO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?