An airplane flies due north at 150km/h with respect to the air

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of "with respect to" and how it relates to the speed and direction of an airplane. The term means "relative to the air" and implies that the plane is traveling in a direction that is related to the air. It also takes into account the speed of the air, meaning that if the air is traveling in a certain direction, the plane's speed and direction will be affected.
dajusta
simple question

when it states "An airplane flies due north at 150km/h with respect to the air."

with respect? what exactly does that mean?

assuming that "relative to..." has the same meaning??

dajusta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it means relative to the air.
Which means that if were traveling with the same velocity as air, you would see the plane traveling 150 km/h due north.

Does it also imply it's traveling in a direction to do with the air?

I know what "relative to the air" means.

I have no idea what "travelling in a direction to do with the air?"
means.

STAii is correct, It's traveling
Due north
@ 150km/hr w/ respect to the speed of the air (above the speed)

Thus if the Air is traveling at 10km/hr, then the plane's total speed is 160km/hr.

Pete

Er...

If the air is going north @ 10 km/hr with respect to me, then the plane would indeed be going north @ 160 km/hr with respect to me.

However, we don't know which way the air is going. If it was going south @ 10 km/hr WRT me, then the plane would be going north @ 140 km/hr north WRT me. If the air was going another direction, it would be even messier

1. How is the speed of an airplane measured?

The speed of an airplane is measured in kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) with respect to the surrounding air.

2. Why is the direction of an airplane's flight important?

The direction of an airplane's flight is important because it determines the flight path and destination of the airplane. It also affects the flight time and fuel consumption of the airplane.

3. How does the airplane maintain a constant speed and direction?

The airplane maintains a constant speed and direction by adjusting the thrust of the engines and using control surfaces such as the rudder, elevator, and ailerons to control the direction and stability of the airplane.

4. What does "due north" mean in relation to an airplane's flight?

"Due north" means that the airplane is flying directly towards the north, or 0 degrees on the compass. This means that the airplane's heading and the direction of the flight path are aligned with the north.

5. How does air resistance affect an airplane's speed and direction?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect an airplane's speed and direction by slowing down the airplane and causing it to deviate from its intended flight path. Pilots must adjust the airplane's speed and use control surfaces to counteract the effects of air resistance in order to maintain a constant speed and direction.