Can Mathematical Induction Prove the Primality of 2n-1 and 2n+1?

• Thread starter numberthree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, if one of the numbers 2n-1 and 2n+1 is prime and n>2, then the other number is not prime. This can be proven using mathematical induction by setting a base case of n=3 and showing that 2^3-1 = 7 is prime and 2^3+1 = 9 is not. Then, assuming it is true for n, it can be proven for n+1.
numberthree

Homework Statement

Prove that if one of the numbers 2n-1 and 2n+1 is prime, n>2, then the other number is not

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

I don't even know how to start.

Part 1: Pick one of the numbers, and assume it is a prime larger than 2. Then show that the other number is not prime.

Part 2: Now pick the other number, and assume it is a prime larger than 2. Then show that the other number is not prime.

I don't know...it the result is correct but...2^n-1 is prime when n is an odd number...not all odd number but n has to be of the odd form...and 2^n+1 is prime...when n is some even number...

can somebody tell me if it is correct...

Have you thought about using mathematical induction?

Set up your base case: n = 3
You will show that [tex]2^3-1 = 8 - 1 = 7[/tex] is prime and [tex]2^3 + 1 = 9 [/tex] is not since [tex] 9 = 3 \cdot 3[/tex].

Assume that it's true for n. Then prove the case for n + 1.

1. What is an algebra prove question?

An algebra prove question is a type of mathematical problem that requires the use of algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to prove a given statement or equation. It usually involves using known properties and theorems to show that a statement is true.

2. How do I approach an algebra prove question?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the question. Then, identify any given information and what needs to be proved. Next, use known properties and theorems to manipulate the given information and reach the desired conclusion. Finally, make sure to clearly present your steps and reasoning in your solution.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve algebra prove questions?

Some common techniques include substitution, factoring, expanding, and using algebraic identities. It is also important to be familiar with properties of equality, inequalities, and functions.

4. How can I check if my solution to an algebra prove question is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation or statement and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also compare your steps to a worked out solution or ask a teacher or tutor for feedback.

5. Are there any tips for solving algebra prove questions more efficiently?

Yes, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, identify any given information, and strategize before jumping into solving. It is also helpful to practice a variety of algebra problems to become familiar with different techniques and properties. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps can make it easier to solve.