Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An alternative to hybrids

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A steam powered car just set a new world record of 139mph, beating a 101 year old record of 126mph.
    With this level of progress it is predicted that the performance of steam cars could double every millennium.

http://www.steamcar.co.uk/images/refuelling.jpg [Broken]
    Here a team of stokers set a new steam-F1 record for a pitstop of only 1 hour !

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Where did they put the coal?

There was an article on this car in one of the recent Mechanical Design issues.

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume a small trailer and a guy frantically shoveling!

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4
    A while back, I was out for a leisurely drive in the country on a windless humid Sunday morning. I ran into a fog hovering over the road. I finally saw the source: an old Stanley Steamer out for a leisurely drive on a Sunday morning. Too much water vapor emission is a road hazard on humid days.

[Added note] The Stanley Steamer did not have a condenser tube to capture the exhaust vapor and recycle the water until 1915. This increased the range considerably.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  6. Aug 26, 2009 #5

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

Nitro , baby!!!

7. Aug 26, 2009 #6
    Actually the old steamers were efficient, clean and reliable, compared to the internal combustion engines of the day - - - but it had one fatal flaw. No one wanted to wait a long time for the car to warm up - - - just to take a short trip.

KM

8. Aug 30, 2009 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook