Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An amateur question about EPR

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    I read some about EPR and the way it seems to contradict SR and I don't understand this:
    Since we are talking about not relativistic QM isn't it natural for it to contradict SR,
    for instance, Newton 3rd. law (action and reaction) contradicts the finite velocity of interactions but nobody
    worries about it because it is non relativistic.
    May be it is because the axioms of non relativistic QM are still valid in quantum relativstic theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whether or not you think QM contradicts SR is mostly a matter of semantics and interpretation. First, there is no specific conflict. It's not like SR predicts one thing and QM predicts another. Second, EPR+Bell+Aspect led to the conclusion that local (effects not propagating faster than c) hidden variable theories were not viable. If you interpret that to mean that hidden variables do not exist, then locality is left intact.

There have been some prior threads on this subject as well, although I don't have the link.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right. If the effect is described using NR QM, SR is irrelevant.
    Using relativistic quantum field theory describes EPR type phenomena consistent with SR.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook