Does EPR contradict SR in non-relativistic QM?

In summary, the conversation discusses the apparent contradiction between EPR and SR in the context of non-relativistic quantum mechanics. It is argued that this contradiction is mostly a matter of interpretation and that the use of relativistic quantum field theory can reconcile EPR with SR. It is also noted that previous discussions have addressed this topic and may provide further insight.
facenian
I read some about EPR and the way it seems to contradict SR and I don't understand this:
Since we are talking about not relativistic QM isn't it natural for it to contradict SR,
for instance, Newton 3rd. law (action and reaction) contradicts the finite velocity of interactions but nobody
worries about it because it is non relativistic.
May be it is because the axioms of non relativistic QM are still valid in quantum relativstic theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
facenian said:
I read some about EPR and the way it seems to contradict SR and I don't understand this:
Since we are talking about not relativistic QM isn't it natural for it to contradict SR,
for instance, Newton 3rd. law (action and reaction) contradicts the finite velocity of interactions but nobody
worries about it because it is non relativistic.
May be it is because the axioms of non relativistic QM are still valid in quantum relativstic theory?

Whether or not you think QM contradicts SR is mostly a matter of semantics and interpretation. First, there is no specific conflict. It's not like SR predicts one thing and QM predicts another. Second, EPR+Bell+Aspect led to the conclusion that local (effects not propagating faster than c) hidden variable theories were not viable. If you interpret that to mean that hidden variables do not exist, then locality is left intact.

There have been some prior threads on this subject as well, although I don't have the link.

facenian said:
Since we are talking about not relativistic QM isn't it natural for it to contradict SR?
You are right. If the effect is described using NR QM, SR is irrelevant.
Using relativistic quantum field theory describes EPR type phenomena consistent with SR.

What is EPR?

EPR stands for Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen, which is a thought experiment proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen to argue against the completeness of quantum mechanics.

How does EPR relate to quantum entanglement?

EPR is often used in discussions about quantum entanglement because it involves two particles that are connected in a way that their states are correlated, even when they are separated by large distances.

What are the implications of EPR for quantum mechanics?

The EPR thought experiment suggests that quantum mechanics may be incomplete and that there are hidden variables that determine the outcome of experiments, rather than the randomness inherent in quantum mechanics.

Has the EPR paradox been resolved?

The EPR paradox has been the subject of much debate and continues to be a topic of research. Some scientists argue that the paradox can be resolved by considering the concept of locality, while others believe that quantum mechanics is the more complete theory.

How is EPR relevant to the development of quantum technologies?

EPR and quantum entanglement are essential concepts in the development of various quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. They allow for secure communication and make it possible to perform complex calculations that are not feasible with classical computers.