Analysis Proof: Looking for Help with Rudin's Book

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the statement that if r is rational and x is irrational, then x+r is irrational. The proof is found to contain a typo and some questionable steps. Suggestions are made to use the contrapositive and proper notation for set minus in the proof.
bedi
I'm going to be a math major soon, so I'm trying to learn analysis, proofs and some set theory too. Recently I started to read Rudin's analysis book and there is a question that I tried to solve(prove?). I think my proof is wrong or not complete, could you correct me please? http://pdfcast.org/pdf/proof-5

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there's a type. You typed that if x and r are rational, then x+r is irrational. This is of course false. Did you mean to say that if r is rational (and nonzero) and x is irrational, then x+r is irrational??

Let's assume you meant that.

I'm not going to say your proof is wrong, but it's very weird. First of all, you spend your entire time proving that x+r is in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I really don't see the point of this.

And in the last line, you say "But since [itex]x\notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex], [itex]x+r\notin\mathbb{Q}[/itex] also". But this sentence is exactly what they asked you to prove! You should elaborate a bit on why this is true.

Ah, yes it's a typo. Thank you very much...

One quick comment: For set minus, you should write either [itex]\mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}[/itex] or [itex]\mathbb{R}-\mathbb{Q}[/itex] instead of [itex]\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Yes I know but I'm new to latex and couldn't figure out how to use math tools yet

bedi said:
Yes I know but I'm new to latex and couldn't figure out how to use math tools yet

I see. Just use the "\setminus" command to get the slash facing the proper way.

You could use the contrapositive. The contrapositive of "A implies B" is "not B implies not A". The contrapositive is logically equivalent to the original statement.
Statement A:
R is rational AND X is irrational

Statement B:
RX is irrationalProof:
Suppose not B. So RX is rational. Assume (towards contradiction) that A is true. R must be rational also.
We can write:
RX=N1/N2.
R=N3/N4. (Notation: Let "N#" variables be integers.)

So,
X=RX/R
X=(N1/N2)/(N3/N4)=(N1*N4)/(N2*N3).
Thus, X is rational.

This contradicts A. Thus, A is false. We have shown Not B => Not A. Therefore, A => B.

The proof is very similar with R+X. The only real difference is in the italicized region.

Hope this helps.

What is the best way to approach studying Rudin's Analysis Proof?

The best way to approach studying Rudin's Analysis Proof is to start with a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and techniques. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of mathematical logic and proof techniques. Once you have these foundations, it is important to carefully read and understand each theorem and proof in the book, and to practice solving problems and proofs on your own.

Are there any recommended resources or study guides to help with understanding Rudin's Analysis Proof?

There are several resources available to help with understanding Rudin's Analysis Proof, including study guides and supplementary texts. Some popular options include "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott and "A Guide to Advanced Real Analysis" by Gerald B. Folland. It is also helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or study group if you are struggling with certain concepts or proofs.

What are some common challenges that students face when studying Rudin's Analysis Proof?

Some common challenges that students face when studying Rudin's Analysis Proof include the level of rigor and abstraction in the proofs, the lack of explicit examples and exercises, and the difficulty in connecting the material to real-world applications. Additionally, students may struggle with understanding the underlying logic and reasoning behind the proofs.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills while studying Rudin's Analysis Proof?

To improve your problem-solving skills while studying Rudin's Analysis Proof, it is important to practice solving problems on your own and to seek help from others when needed. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to try different approaches and techniques. Additionally, reading and understanding the proofs in the book can also help improve problem-solving skills.

Is it necessary to complete all the exercises in Rudin's Analysis Proof?

Completing all the exercises in Rudin's Analysis Proof is not necessary, but it is highly recommended. The exercises provide valuable practice and reinforcement of the concepts and techniques presented in the book. Additionally, some problems may cover important topics that are not explicitly addressed in the text, so completing all the exercises can help deepen your understanding of the material.