1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An analysis proof(?)

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    I'm going to be a math major soon, so I'm trying to learn analysis, proofs and some set theory too. Recently I started to read Rudin's analysis book and there is a question that I tried to solve(prove?). I think my proof is wrong or not complete, could you correct me please? http://pdfcast.org/pdf/proof-5 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think there's a type. You typed that if x and r are rational, then x+r is irrational. This is of course false. Did you mean to say that if r is rational (and nonzero) and x is irrational, then x+r is irrational??

Let's assume you meant that.

I'm not gonna say your proof is wrong, but it's very weird. First of all, you spend your entire time proving that x+r is in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I really don't see the point of this.

And in the last line, you say "But since [itex]x\notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex], [itex]x+r\notin\mathbb{Q}[/itex] also". But this sentence is exactly what they asked you to prove!!! You should elaborate a bit on why this is true.

4. Aug 9, 2012 #3
    Ah, yes it's a typo. Thank you very much...

5. Aug 9, 2012 #4

jgens

Gold Member

One quick comment: For set minus, you should write either [itex]\mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}[/itex] or [itex]\mathbb{R}-\mathbb{Q}[/itex] instead of [itex]\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

6. Aug 9, 2012 #5
    Yes I know but I'm new to latex and couldn't figure out how to use math tools yet

7. Aug 9, 2012 #6

jgens

Gold Member

I see. Just use the "\setminus" command to get the slash facing the proper way.

8. Aug 9, 2012 #7
    You could use the contrapositive. The contrapositive of "A implies B" is "not B implies not A". The contrapositive is logically equivalent to the original statement.
    Statement A:
    R is rational AND X is irrational

Statement B:
    RX is irrational

Proof:
    Suppose not B. So RX is rational. Assume (towards contradiction) that A is true. R must be rational also.
    We can write:
    RX=N1/N2.
    R=N3/N4. (Notation: Let "N#" variables be integers.)

So,
    X=RX/R
    X=(N1/N2)/(N3/N4)=(N1*N4)/(N2*N3).
    Thus, X is rational.

This contradicts A. Thus, A is false. We have shown Not B => Not A. Therefore, A => B.

The proof is very similar with R+X. The only real difference is in the italicized region.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook