1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An angular mom problem

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    A uniform rod of mass 3.15×10^−2 kg and length 0.380 m rotates in a horizontal plane about a fixed axis through its center and perpendicular to the rod. Two small rings, each with mass 0.250 kg, are mounted so that they can slide along the rod. They are initially held by catches at positions a distance 5.20×10^−2 m on each side from the center of the rod, and the system is rotating at an angular velocity 34.0 rev/min. Without otherwise changing the system, the catches are released, and the rings slide outward along the rod and fly off at the ends.

I think that the its just pure conservation of momentum

so i do

divided by
    and then multiply the result by 34
    but i get 0.8109
    which is the wrong answer
    what i am doing wrong?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the question you are trying to answer? It would be good if you would identify all those numbers by the symbols they replaced, and units would go a long way to helping in that identification.
  4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    What is the angular speed of the system at the instant when the rings reach the ends of the rod?

the numbers represent

Which is just the moment of inertia of the system before it starts
    divided by the moment of inertia of the system after the rings get to the edge
    the only thing that changes is the radius of the ring which goes from (5.2*10^-2)m to .38m

and then multipy by the initial angular velocity to
    get the final angular velocity

i just happen to end up with .8109, which is not right
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2006
  5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Each ring only goes out to half the length of the rod
  6. Nov 13, 2006 #5

i am an idiot

thanks alot for pointing that out
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?