Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An application of railgun

1. Jan 29, 2004 #1
    I have made an small application of a railgun. It looks simple but I don't get its principle involved here.

On a cardboard, two strips of aluminum foils are pasted qith an equal distance apart from each other, resembling a train's path.
    A pair of alligator clips, both ends have 'head', in which the front heads of each are attached to one of the foils. the other ends on a 9V battery.

I assembed a pair of magnets connected by a 3 inch steel cut from a coathanger at the center of each magnet. Then here's the fun.
    When I placed the "wheel" at the path, it moves away from the
    start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2004 #2
    Question:
    Are the alligator clips connected to only ONE aluminum strip, each end, and the other aluminum strip not connected to anything electrically?

4. Jan 29, 2004 #3
    Yah...

Hello to you!

Hmmm, I guess I did not mention it clearly. One alligator clip is attached to one of the foils while the other one is attached to another foil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?