1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An approximation in QM

1. Jun 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the Griffiths book <Introduction to QM>, Section 2.3.2: Analytic method (for The harmonic oscillator), there is an equation (##\xi## is very large)
    $$h(\xi)\approx C\sum\frac{1}{(j/2)!}\xi^{j}\approx C\sum\frac{1}{(j)!}\xi^{2j}\approx Ce^{\xi^{2}}.$$
    How to understand the meaning of the third approximately equal sign?

2. Relevant equations
    I know the Taylor series
    $$e^{x}=\frac{x^{n}}{n!}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    If take place of ##\xi## with ##2\xi##, the equation may hold. However, can it be like this? What is the series of ##e^{\xi^{2}}## in real? I don't want the approximation. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the sum runs from j=0 to infinity, it is not an approximation, it is exact. It is the Taylor series of ##e^x## with ##x=\xi^2##.

Note that ##\xi^{2j} = (\xi^2)^j##.

4. Jun 10, 2017 #3
    Thank you! I have found the problem I met. In fact, I want to prove the following equation $$e^{x^{2}}=\sum\frac{x^{2n}}{n!},$$ but didn't succeed at first. Now I can. This is the process.
    Adopting the Taylor expansion of the left, with the derivertives
    $$ (e^{x^{2}})^{(0)}=e^{x^{2}},(e^{x^{2}})^{(1)}=e^{x^{2}}2x,(e^{x^{2}})^{(2)}=e^{x^{2}}(4x^{2}+2),(e^{x^{2}})^{(3)}=e^{x^{2}}(8x^{3}+12x),(e^{x^{2}})^{(4)}=e^{x^{2}}(16x^{4}+48x^{2}+12) ...,$$
    $$e^{x^{2}}=1+0+2x^{2}/{2!}+0+12x^{4}/{4!}+...,$$ which is exactly equal to the right expression $$1+x^2/(1!)+x^4/(2!).$$
    Actually, the zero terms in the Taylor expansion stopped me from calculating continuously in the beginning, making me think they are not equal.

5. Jun 11, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is more complicated, but it works as well.

6. Jun 11, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could simply let ##y = x^2##, then:

##e^y = \sum\frac{y^{n}}{n!}##

And

##e^{x^2} = \sum\frac{(x^2)^{n}}{n!} = \sum\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}##

In fact, you don't really need to introduce the intermediate variable ##y##. You can simply write down this last equation directly.

7. Jun 11, 2017 #6
    Indeed, it's a simpler method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted