1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Area Problem

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    I want to know how the area between two curves can be determined,do i just multiply the functions and then equate everything to 0,so i can get the limits,and the integrate the multiplied function within those limits

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mathelord, your description indicates some confusion. I plotted two functions:

[tex]y1(x)=x^2[/tex]

[tex]y2(x)=-x^2+4x[/tex]

To find the area between them, in this particular case, you would subtract them:

[tex]A=\int_0^2 [y2(x)-y1(x)] dx[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^2[(-x^2+4x)-x^2] dx[/tex]

You can do the rest right?

Attached Files:

• pt1.JPG
      pt1.JPG
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Jun 20, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO, you don't "multiply the functions" OR "equate everything to 0"! I wonder where you would have gotten the idea that you should multiply the two functions. The limits of integration are the values of x where the area "ends"- where the two curves intersect. To find where the curves y= f(x) and y= g(x) intersect, solve y= f(x)= g(x).

Don't "integrate the multiplied function". Remember the "Riemann sums" that become the integral? Each term is the area of a skinny rectangle with width Δx and height the difference between the two functions: f(x)- g(x). You integrate the difference between the two functions.

5. Jun 21, 2005 #4
    do i just subtract one from the other,which is the exact on to be subtracted from

6. Jun 21, 2005 #5
    Subtract the lower function from the higher function.

In Saltydog's example the lower function is x^2 and the upper function is 4x-x^2.

7. Jun 21, 2005 #6
    in cases like ax^2+bx+c,and -ax^2-bx-c.which is the lower function so i can get one integrated

8. Jun 21, 2005 #7
    Just graph them and check, or evaluate a test point, f(x) and g(x) to see which is lower.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?