Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Area Problem

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    I want to know how the area between two curves can be determined,do i just multiply the functions and then equate everything to 0,so i can get the limits,and the integrate the multiplied function within those limits

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mathelord, your description indicates some confusion. I plotted two functions:

[tex]y1(x)=x^2[/tex]

[tex]y2(x)=-x^2+4x[/tex]

To find the area between them, in this particular case, you would subtract them:

[tex]A=\int_0^2 [y2(x)-y1(x)] dx[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^2[(-x^2+4x)-x^2] dx[/tex]

You can do the rest right?

Attached Files:

• pt1.JPG
      pt1.JPG
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Jun 20, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO, you don't "multiply the functions" OR "equate everything to 0"! I wonder where you would have gotten the idea that you should multiply the two functions. The limits of integration are the values of x where the area "ends"- where the two curves intersect. To find where the curves y= f(x) and y= g(x) intersect, solve y= f(x)= g(x).

Don't "integrate the multiplied function". Remember the "Riemann sums" that become the integral? Each term is the area of a skinny rectangle with width Δx and height the difference between the two functions: f(x)- g(x). You integrate the difference between the two functions.

5. Jun 21, 2005 #4
    do i just subtract one from the other,which is the exact on to be subtracted from

6. Jun 21, 2005 #5
    Subtract the lower function from the higher function.

In Saltydog's example the lower function is x^2 and the upper function is 4x-x^2.

7. Jun 21, 2005 #6
    in cases like ax^2+bx+c,and -ax^2-bx-c.which is the lower function so i can get one integrated

8. Jun 21, 2005 #7
    Just graph them and check, or evaluate a test point, f(x) and g(x) to see which is lower.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?