How can I determine the area between two curves?

• Thread starter mathelord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the area between two curves can be determined by subtracting the lower function from the higher function and then integrating the difference between the two functions within the limits of intersection. It is important to note that the limits of integration are the values of x where the two curves intersect. Additionally, it is not necessary to multiply the functions or equate everything to 0 before integrating.
mathelord
I want to know how the area between two curves can be determined,do i just multiply the functions and then equate everything to 0,so i can get the limits,and the integrate the multiplied function within those limits

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathelord, your description indicates some confusion. I plotted two functions:

[tex]y1(x)=x^2[/tex]

[tex]y2(x)=-x^2+4x[/tex]

To find the area between them, in this particular case, you would subtract them:

[tex]A=\int_0^2 [y2(x)-y1(x)] dx[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^2[(-x^2+4x)-x^2] dx[/tex]

You can do the rest right?

Attachments

• pt1.JPG
    pt1.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 389
mathelord said:
I want to know how the area between two curves can be determined,do i just multiply the functions and then equate everything to 0,so i can get the limits,and the integrate the multiplied function within those limits
NO, you don't "multiply the functions" OR "equate everything to 0"! I wonder where you would have gotten the idea that you should multiply the two functions. The limits of integration are the values of x where the area "ends"- where the two curves intersect. To find where the curves y= f(x) and y= g(x) intersect, solve y= f(x)= g(x).

Don't "integrate the multiplied function". Remember the "Riemann sums" that become the integral? Each term is the area of a skinny rectangle with width Δx and height the difference between the two functions: f(x)- g(x). You integrate the difference between the two functions.

do i just subtract one from the other,which is the exact on to be subtracted from

Subtract the lower function from the higher function.

In Saltydog's example the lower function is x^2 and the upper function is 4x-x^2.

in cases like ax^2+bx+c,and -ax^2-bx-c.which is the lower function so i can get one integrated

Just graph them and check, or evaluate a test point, f(x) and g(x) to see which is lower.

1. What is an area problem?

An area problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area of a shape or surface. This can include calculating the area of a two-dimensional shape, such as a square or circle, or the surface area of a three-dimensional object, such as a cube or sphere.

2. How do you solve an area problem?

To solve an area problem, you need to know the formula for finding the area of the specific shape or surface in question. This formula typically involves multiplying certain measurements, such as length and width, or using special functions for more complex shapes. Once you have the formula, you can plug in the given measurements and calculate the area.

3. What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter is the distance around the edge of a shape, while area is the measure of the surface inside the shape. Perimeter is typically measured in linear units, such as inches or centimeters, while area is measured in square units, such as square inches or square centimeters.

4. Can you use the same formula to find the area of any shape?

No, different shapes have different formulas for finding their areas. Some shapes, like squares and rectangles, have simple formulas that involve multiplying their length and width, while other shapes, like circles and triangles, have more complex formulas that involve using special functions.

5. How is finding the area of a three-dimensional object different from finding the area of a two-dimensional shape?

Finding the area of a three-dimensional object, also known as surface area, involves calculating the total area of all the surfaces that make up the object. This can include finding the area of each face of a cube or the curved surface of a cylinder. In contrast, finding the area of a two-dimensional shape only involves calculating the area of a single surface.