Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Armored Personnel Unit

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    In the Matrix trilogy, there are big robots called APUs, or Armored Personnel Units, Might anyone have any idea on how to make it from cheap matereals? (some parts preferably from a junkyard)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2
    Do you mean a repilca or a real APU.If you want to build APU your going have spend millons of dollars and you need secert milltary technology form Area 51.

4. Dec 6, 2005 #3
    You can build a replica of anything with enough fiberglass and epoxy. Though you'll smell peculiar for a few weeks afterwards most likely.

5. Dec 6, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Those APU's are absolutely useless. The whole front is exposed! And there is horrible mobility to consider...

6. Dec 6, 2005 #5
    As long as it moves like an APU, it's fine with me, doesn't need weapons, doesn't need to be that big, just a way to "get around".

7. Dec 6, 2005 #6
    And in the Revolutions, they made the front exposed in order for viewers to see the characters more clearly.

8. Dec 6, 2005 #7

In that case yeah, you're gonna a pretty big budget, millions of dollars.

For that matter, you do realize that mechs in general are structurally unsound, right?

9. Dec 6, 2005 #8
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  10. Dec 6, 2005 #9
    It doesnt need to have accesories, nothing extra, just a plain skeleton with a torso, seat, legs, arms, and means to control the thing.

11. Dec 6, 2005 #10
    Are you talking about the APU's in the Matrix? they are slow, cumbersome antiquated looking man-chines leaving the pilot exposed and vulnerable.
    Civilian APU's are more impressive but with the metal they're carrying it must feel like driving a tank in one of those. I still wouldn't mind having one...
    http://www.alpineco.com/armored/new_armored_suvs/suburban/armored_suburban_17.htm

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  12. Dec 6, 2005 #11

Again, be prepared to shell out millions of dollars in research and development.

13. Dec 7, 2005 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

14. Dec 8, 2005 #13
    I don't want it to be exactly like the APUs in the Matrix, just the same principle: a large man-like robot that can move around with a person inside. I don't care whether or not the pilot was exposed in the Revolutions. I don't care about weapons. I just want it to move with its feet and raise its arms, that's all. Nothing fancy, doesnt need to have cool designs or tatoos like in the movie. Doesn't need to be a war machine

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  15. Dec 8, 2005 #14
    Secret military technology? I was thinking more like hydraulics.

16. Dec 8, 2005 #15

Again, be prepared to spend millions of dollars. :rolleyes:

And again, they are not structurally viable.

17. Dec 8, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

As far as robotics goes, those are contradictory statements. It is VERY hard to keep something stable while moving on 2 legs. Humans alone have an incredibly complex system of biological functions that for hte most part, just keep us standing up.

18. Dec 8, 2005 #17

Exactly. As I said, mechs are NOT structurally viable.

19. Dec 8, 2005 #18

-Job-

Science Advisor

There are some robots that can actually dance on two legs. They move very smoothly and quickly like a person. It's the creepiest thing. With the necessary sensors you'll be able to program a robot to walk on two legs without falling down. One of the ways to achieve this is to use neural networks, a data structure modeled after biological neuron networks, that allows for learning.
    Here's a link to a movie of the dancing robots.

20. Dec 8, 2005 #19
    look at the weight distribution though. Mech's are not viable because of the amount of weight above their legs. Its obvious from the existence of humans that you can have bipedal movement in robots, but there are limits. You can't have a 100 ton mech with 90 tons of it above the legs. The legs couldn't hold it up.

21. Dec 8, 2005 #20

-Job-

Science Advisor

Well, of course you'll have to design it with efficiency in mind. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?