1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An assigned riddle

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Through a combination of sight, sound, and smell a rabbit can detect a fox at 60 meters. When the rabbit detects the fox, it runs immediately straight to its hole. If the fox can run twice as fast as the rabbit, what is the maximum distance from its hole that a rabbit can safely venture? Assume that the rabbit escapes if they arrive at the hole at the same time.

2. The attempt at a solution

2x + 60 = x
    x = 60

Apparently this is incorrect

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    Does the question state where the hole is compared to the fox and rabbit. Your result is correct if the rabbit is directly between the fox and the hole. but what if the hole was between the fox and rabbit?

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    I think I understand now. It would always have to be twice as close to the hole than the fox. A twenty meter radius would ensure the fox is always 40 meters away from the hole.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. May 29, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is "twice as close" the same as "half as far" ?

6. May 29, 2012 #5
    I think so. why do you ask?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook