1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An assignment

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1
    it's on centripetal force and gravitation problems..
    wonderin if anyone can provide me answers such that i can compare mine
    here's the assignment

mine are {
    1. 8N;
    2. 1.97 hr;
    3. 7.9E3 m/s
    4. 382.26 m, 5.49E3 N
    5. 8E-10 N
    6. 2.93E41 kg}
    I would really thankful, is someone can provide me answers..
    and if u can do atleast.. please try #5.. i am confused over that.because my book also have answer to that question, and mine one's different from that
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

I don't get the same answer for #4. Can you show more of how you got it? Perhaps I made an error...

Regarding #5, what is the answer the book gives? I think I know why you got a different answer.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  4. Mar 25, 2007 #3
    thnx a lot for assuring me..
    and for #4

N-W = centripetal force
    m.(normal a)-mg = m(v^2/r)

but normal a=7g

so r=(v^2/g)
    =382.23 m

N = 7 x 9.81 x 80 kg

I think i am wrong, perhaps because in the question it says "acceleration of the pilot"..
    so that means net acceleration?
  5. Mar 25, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Note that I edited my first post about question #5. Can you tell me what the book's answer is?
  6. Mar 25, 2007 #5
    6.8 N
    umm.. i think this isn't possible though
  7. Mar 25, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

Even if you do it this way, shouldn't it be 6g on the bottom (7g-g=6g)?

The wording is bit confusing in the question. I would think they are just asking for the acceleration, so then r = (v^2)/7g.
    To find the force of the seat on the pilot, you just sum the forces up, so N - mg = mv^2/r. That's the approach I would take, but you decide what you want to do.
  8. Mar 25, 2007 #7
    oops, that was a typo
    umm.. yea, i think your way''s right
  9. Mar 25, 2007 #8

Homework Helper

Is that supposed to be 6.8x10^-10 N though? Gravitational force is a vector. So for the third mass (4kg), you need to break up the force into its x and y components. Then do a sum of the forces in each direction. Then find the resultant of those two. Does that make sense? If you do that, you should get the answer the book gives.
  10. Mar 25, 2007 #9
    Yes 6.8x10^-10 N is the correct answer for 5/.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?