Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An attempt to unify EM and Grav., just to see if my ideas are in order.

1. Aug 13, 2004 #1
    I would like to relate EM and Gravitation by trying to use energy and Quantum theory etc.

Since I know nothing of Quantum Theory, you might think me a fool.

To relate them, I will state one thing: Energy has direction.

Now, I have seen a(and only one) Feynman diagram, and I probably misunderstood it, but I found that there are two electrons nearing each other, and they exchange a 'virtual photon'(originally I thought it as a photon wave) in the form of energy to repel each other. Now, look at where they were going originally. Assuming this diagram of sorts assumed that the particles were massless and only cared about the charge, it seemed that they exchanged energy to exchange DIRECTION. It seems that they go in the exact path of the other, and this can be explained by stating that objects with mass moves more slowly proportional to the objects mass. Now where have we seen that before? Maybe with A=F/m, something that even I know! And what have we seen with relativity? Acceleration and Gravity are determined with the position of the observer. So, we have related EM and Gravity with one statement. And since I have about 20 people yelling at me to move since I have to go, I feel that this is fitting for you people.

Please criticize me as you wish. Good day.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2004 #2
    FYI: Path is not defined classically in quantum theory. Each possible path is associated with a probability and the sum of all paths is an integral of Feynman's version of quantum theory.
  4. Aug 13, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If energy has direction then the people in china have the opposite potential gravity that I do. And, assuming I I am completely in the "positive" direction, people 90 degrees down on the earth will have near 0 potential gravity.
    Hm, yep, that makes sense.

I'd also like to point out that energy is conserved in orbits, where direction is constantly changing.
  5. Aug 14, 2004 #4
    Your intuition about "direction" agrees with my mine. But as for me, the reason why energy is a scalar quantity instead of a vector, is that there is an underlying working principle at the fundamental level of reality. This is the principle of directional invariance. I said something about this principle in other posts.

Einstein definitely knew this problem about "direction" when he was trying to unify EM and gravity. But he used tensor analysis which to me complicated the situation by going into covariance of physical laws instead of invariance of physical quantities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?