1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An easy mass pole system

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    I want to know the x,y position at the time t of this system when I apply a force in the direction showed, how do I find it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

We respectfully request students (and others) to show some effort and work.

This is a problem in which a torque is applied at a pivot to which a mass is attached by a moment arm, which in this case has length 11 (no units specified). The mass m is also not specified, and it's not clear whether or not the mass of the connecting arm (or rod) has a mass.

The position as a function of time will depend on the moment of inertia of the moment arm and mass, m, and the applied torque.

Here is a nice reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html

4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    sorry for the delay Astronuc >_<.

What I want, is to know the transient response to an impulse input to that system. The length of the rod is L1 and massless
  5. Nov 16, 2007 #4
    Here is something I made, can someone correct my homework?

Maybe Mabauti can calculate the solution for me, so I can see how the thing rotates in function of time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?