An easy way to get yourself a cool $100k?

• Thread starter Nereid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary, there is currently a $100000 prize for proving the existence of dark matter, but it is questionable whether the prize money actually exists. It has been suggested that this could be used as an extra credit assignment for a physics or astronomy course, but it would likely require advanced modeling skills. Some doubts have been raised about the assumptions made in the challenge, particularly regarding the effects of matter inside a spherical shell.
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Dark-matter $100000 prize, Prove dark matter is needed and win!"

033 hits to date (http://www.darkmatterprize.net/ [Broken])

Personally I think a) he doesn't have $100k, and b) this might form the basis for an interesting set of 'extra credit' assignments for an undergraduate Physics/Astronomy course ... :wink:

But, who knows, perhaps the old English adage about a fool and his money may have some validity in the 21st century?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have always heard a fool and his money make a good party! :rofl: :biggrin:

It looks to me as thought his would either be an upper graduate level(at the very least) or graduate level type modeling. How many UGs do you know that could pull this off as 'extra-credit'?

I think if you prove him wrong they'll throw you a Phd. because this kind of proof would be seminal in the current debate surrounding dark matter, IMHO.

Will he cover the cost of my particle accelerator, as well? I didn't think so. The amazing Randi million dollar challenge sounds more attainable. Heck, all I need is a peach branch and some underground water pipes.

It's been a while ... I'd meant to come back to this, but got distracted.

"this might form the basis for an interesting set of 'extra credit' assignments for an undergraduate Physics/Astronomy course" - i.e. not that a 'full solution' gets the extra credit, but that pieces of the proposed puzzle, or exploring approaches might be a good idea.

In any case, it seems there's some discussion (here) which might be of interest to some PFers.

Note that I'm not very familiar with this topic, but I will point out that one of the asssumptions he doesn't allow seems valid to me:

2. Matter inside or outside a spherical shell does not attract the shell. According to Newton's law every particle in a galaxy attracts every other.

The net force affecting matter inside a spherical shell (with homogeneously distributed mass) is zero for the same geometric reason that the net force on a charged particle inside a spherical shell on which charge is homogeneously distributed is zero.

Last edited:

1. What is the easiest way to get $100k?

The easiest way to get $100k is to win the lottery or receive a large inheritance. However, these options are not guaranteed and rely heavily on luck.

2. What are some legitimate ways to earn $100k quickly?

Some legitimate ways to earn $100k quickly include: getting a high-paying job, starting a successful business, or investing in the stock market. However, these options require hard work, dedication, and a certain level of expertise.

3. Is there a risk involved in trying to earn $100k quickly?

Yes, there is always a risk involved in trying to earn a large sum of money quickly. Whether it's through gambling, investing, or starting a business, there is no guarantee of success and there is always a chance of losing money. It's important to carefully consider the risks before pursuing any quick money-making opportunities.

4. How long could it take to earn $100k using an easy method?

The amount of time it takes to earn $100k using an easy method varies greatly. It could take a few weeks if you win the lottery or receive an inheritance, or it could take several years if you're starting a business or investing in the stock market. It also depends on your level of dedication and success in your chosen method.

5. Are there any unethical ways to get $100k quickly?

Yes, there are many unethical ways to get $100k quickly, such as scamming or committing fraud. These methods are illegal and can result in serious consequences. It's important to always choose ethical and legal ways to earn money.