Resistance Differences: Nichrome vs. Copper Wire

In summary: The resistance of a wire is a measure of how much electrical current it can resist passing through it, while the resistivity is a measure of how much electrical resistance a material offers. Nichrome has a much lower resistance than copper, so it would be able to handle more power before breaking.
ellieee
Homework Statement
explain one electrical property of nichrome that makes it suitable to be used as a heating element?
Relevant Equations
nil
i don't understand the answer:
Nichrome has a higher resistance than copper wire. There is a greater potential
difference across the nichrome than the copper wire.
From ,the resistance of nichrome is low enough such that there is significant power
output.
^ i feel like the bold parts contradict each other?
and i don't understand why they are comparing the potential difference across nichrome with p.d across copper wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the answer either. If I were to choose between copper and nichrome to make a heating element, I would start with the consideration that each element would be hooked up to a household current outlet that provides constant voltage, say 120 V. I am not sure where the "greater potential difference across the nichrome wire" stated in the answer comes from. Furthermore, before plugging in either element to the outlet, I would consider that the current through the outlet is limited by a 20 A circuit breaker.

Likes Delta2
berkeman said:
And I suspect that part of the reason may have to do with the impedance of the AC Mains power line...
Maybe you don't need to go as deep as that. Nichrome's resistivity is about 67 times that of copper while its mass density is 8400 kg/m3 compared with 8960 kg/m3 for copper. So a nichrome wire of the same gauge and length as a copper wire will be slightly lighter, have roughly the same dimensions about 60 or so times the resistance of the copper wire.

I still don't understand the answer in #1. It seems that whoever wrote it is conflating resistance with resistivity.

1. What is the difference between nichrome and copper wire?

Nichrome and copper wire are both conductive materials used in electrical circuits. However, nichrome wire is an alloy of nickel and chromium, while copper wire is made solely of copper. This difference in composition leads to variations in their electrical properties, such as resistance.

2. Which wire has a higher resistance, nichrome or copper?

Nichrome wire has a higher resistance than copper wire. This is because nichrome has a higher resistivity, or the measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. Copper, on the other hand, has a lower resistivity, making it a better conductor of electricity.

3. Why is nichrome wire often used in heating elements?

Nichrome wire is commonly used in heating elements because of its high resistance. When an electric current passes through nichrome wire, it heats up due to the resistance, making it useful for applications that require heat, such as in toasters, hair dryers, and ovens.

4. Can nichrome and copper wire be used interchangeably in circuits?

No, nichrome and copper wire cannot be used interchangeably in circuits. Their different resistances and electrical properties make them suitable for different purposes. For example, copper wire is better for conducting electricity, while nichrome wire is better for generating heat.

5. How does the resistance of nichrome and copper wire change with temperature?

The resistance of both nichrome and copper wire increases with temperature. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms in the wire vibrate more, causing more collisions and hindering the flow of electric current. However, nichrome wire has a higher temperature coefficient of resistance, meaning its resistance increases at a faster rate compared to copper wire.