An electromagnetic question.

1. What are the three forces responsible for a neodymium magnet to fall slowly down through a heavy copper tube?

2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,487
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF;
    That's a good question - what have you come up with so far?
    i.e. have you listed the forces that are available to the universe? There are only four - but I feel the question may be treating one of them as two.

4. davenn

davenn 3,392
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Hi clark

its a good experiment, as Simon has said, have a think about what is happening
    A hint ... a moving magnetic field and a conductor :wink:

also it could be any magnet and it works just as well with an aluminium tube

I use this action to produce dampening in a seismometer ( earthquake detector)
    but rather than an aluminium tube, I use a moving strip of aluminium between 2 fixed magnets

Dave

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Well I can think of the two obvious, Gravity and Electromagnetic force.

6. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,487
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. gravitation
    2. electrical
    3. magnetic

ruling out the strong and weak nuclear forces.

But - it may be that the question is thinking in terms of a free body diagram?
    It really depends on where you are up to in your course.

Have you tried davenn's suggestion?

7. I know that an electric current is generated when the magnet moves through the conductor. I looked it up and found something called "Eddy's Current" that i will need to look into so i can better understand exactly what occurs.

8. davenn

davenn 3,392
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

That's a good start :smile:
    Now think or research about what those eddy currents that are set up in the pipe do/cause

Dave

PS, note the little highlighted correction I did in your quoted text :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted