Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An electromagnetic question.

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    What are the three forces responsible for a neodymium magnet to fall slowly down through a heavy copper tube?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF;
    That's a good question - what have you come up with so far?
    i.e. have you listed the forces that are available to the universe? There are only four - but I feel the question may be treating one of them as two.

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Hi clark

its a good experiment, as Simon has said, have a think about what is happening
    A hint ... a moving magnetic field and a conductor :wink:

also it could be any magnet and it works just as well with an aluminium tube

I use this action to produce dampening in a seismometer ( earthquake detector)
    but rather than an aluminium tube, I use a moving strip of aluminium between 2 fixed magnets

Dave

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Nov 26, 2013 #4
    Well I can think of the two obvious, Gravity and Electromagnetic force.

6. Nov 27, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. gravitation
    2. electrical
    3. magnetic

ruling out the strong and weak nuclear forces.

But - it may be that the question is thinking in terms of a free body diagram?
    It really depends on where you are up to in your course.

Have you tried davenn's suggestion?

7. Nov 27, 2013 #6
    I know that an electric current is generated when the magnet moves through the conductor. I looked it up and found something called "Eddy's Current" that i will need to look into so i can better understand exactly what occurs.

8. Nov 27, 2013 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

That's a good start :smile:
    Now think or research about what those eddy currents that are set up in the pipe do/cause

Dave

PS, note the little highlighted correction I did in your quoted text :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted