An electromagnetic question.

In summary, the three forces that are responsible for a neodymium magnet to fall slowly down through a heavy copper tube are gravity, electrical current, and magnetic force.
clark84
What are the three forces responsible for a neodymium magnet to fall slowly down through a heavy copper tube?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
That's a good question - what have you come up with so far?
i.e. have you listed the forces that are available to the universe? There are only four - but I feel the question may be treating one of them as two.

Hi clark

its a good experiment, as Simon has said, have a think about what is happening
A hint ... a moving magnetic field and a conductor :wink:

also it could be any magnet and it works just as well with an aluminium tube

I use this action to produce dampening in a seismometer ( earthquake detector)
but rather than an aluminium tube, I use a moving strip of aluminium between 2 fixed magnets

Dave

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
That's a good question - what have you come up with so far?
i.e. have you listed the forces that are available to the universe? There are only four - but I feel the question may be treating one of them as two.

Well I can think of the two obvious, Gravity and Electromagnetic force.

1. gravitation
2. electrical
3. magnetic

ruling out the strong and weak nuclear forces.

But - it may be that the question is thinking in terms of a free body diagram?
It really depends on where you are up to in your course.

Have you tried davenn's suggestion?

davenn said:
Hi clark

its a good experiment, as Simon has said, have a think about what is happening
A hint ... a moving magnetic field and a conductor :wink:

also it could be any magnet and it works just as well with an aluminium tube

I use this action to produce dampening in a seismometer ( earthquake detector)
but rather than an aluminium tube, I use a moving strip of aluminium between 2 fixed magnets

Dave

I know that an electric current is generated when the magnet moves through the conductor. I looked it up and found something called "Eddy's Current" that i will need to look into so i can better understand exactly what occurs.

clark84 said:
I know that an electric current is generated when the magnetic field moves through the conductor. I looked it up and found something called "Eddy's Current" that i will need to look into so i can better understand exactly what occurs.

That's a good start :smile:
Now think or research about what those eddy currents that are set up in the pipe do/causeDave

PS, note the little highlighted correction I did in your quoted text :smile:

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is transmitted through space in the form of waves. It includes visible light, radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays.

2. How does electromagnetic radiation travel?

Electromagnetic radiation travels through space at the speed of light in a straight line. It does not require a medium to travel, which is why it can travel through a vacuum.

3. How is electromagnetic radiation produced?

Electromagnetic radiation is produced when an electric charge is accelerated or decelerated. This can occur naturally, such as in the case of lightning, or artificially, such as in the case of radio waves produced by a radio transmitter.

4. What are the uses of electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation has a wide range of uses in various fields such as communication, medicine, and technology. It is used in radio and television broadcasting, medical imaging, and telecommunications, among others.

5. How does the electromagnetic spectrum work?

The electromagnetic spectrum is a range of all types of electromagnetic radiation, arranged in order of increasing frequency and decreasing wavelength. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of radiation has different properties and uses.