Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An electron emitts a photon and the core is pushed (recoiled) back!

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1
    I have come across a problem which is a homework indeed, but i tried to pack this question up so that it is more theoretical.

What i want to know is if i am alowed to write energy conservation for an atom which emitts a photon (when his electron changes energy for a value ##\Delta E##) like this (The atom is kicked back when it emmits an photon):

\begin{align}
    E_1 &= E_2\\
    E_{ \text{H atom 1}} &= E_{ \text{H atom 2} } + E_\gamma\\
    \sqrt{ \!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\smash{\underbrace{(E_0 + \Delta E)^2}_{\substack{\text{I am not sure about}\\\text{this part where normaly}\\\text{we write only ${E_0}^2$. Should I}\\\text{put $\Delta E$ somewhere else?}}}}\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\!\! + {p_1}^2c^2} &= \sqrt{ {E_0}^2 + {p_2}^2c^2 } + E_\gamma \longleftarrow \substack{\text{momentum $p_1=0$ and because of}\\\text{the momentum conservation}\\\text{$p_2 = p_\gamma = E_\gamma/c$}}\\
    \phantom{1}\\
    \phantom{1}\\
    \phantom{1}\\
    \sqrt{{(E_0 + \Delta E)}^2} &= \sqrt{{E_0}^2 + {E_\gamma}^2} + E_\gamma
    \end{align}

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##p_2 c = E_\gamma## requires that the initial atom is at rest in your coordinate system, so you can keep E_1 at the left side (and I think I would not use E_0 at all, as it can be confusing), you don't need that p1 at all.
    That is possible, indeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook