1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Electron Released from Rest

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    An electron is released from rest at the negative plate of a parallel plate capacitor. The charge per unit area on each plate is σ = 1.69E-7 C/m2, and the plates are separated by a distance of 1.72E-2 m. How fast is the electron moving just before it reaches the positive plate?

i started by using the equation E=σ/ϵ. so i got E=1.9096E4N/C. then i multiplied that by one coulomb to get force. so F=3.05536E-15N. i then took newtons seconds law (F=ma) and found acceleration. for the mass of the electron i used 9.109E-31kg. so i was left with a=3.35E15m/s^2. i need to find out velocity, and so i looked for kinematic equations and i cant find one with all the variables that i have. it seems like everyone i try to use is missing 2 variables. am i overlooking something? please point me in the right direction. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You can use this equation again:

[tex]v^2 = v_o^2 + 2ax[/tex]

You have all of the values you need. Which ones are you unsure of?

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    I would try to equate difference in PE's with KE and forget kinematics entirely.

(edit: pretty much end up with Hages eqn either way)

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As long as you've computed the acceleration, if you really want to use kinematics, use d=(1/2)*a*t^2 to compute the time and v=a*t to compute the final velocity. You have a superabundance of choices of how to complete the problem.

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5
    in response to hage567 i dont think that i have the initial velocity. thanks to all three of you.

7. Apr 19, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"An electron is released from rest". Think again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?