How Does a Dipole Inside a Conducting Shell Affect the Electric Field?

In summary, the homework statement is that a uniform electric field is present with a strength of E_0. Then, a conducting sphere is placed inside the field, and somehow the dipole moment is perpendicular to the initial field. Find the potential/electric field of the new configuration.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

There is a uniform electric field with strength [itex] E_0 [/itex].Then we place a conducting spherical shell with a dipole at the center of it,inside the field,somehow that the dipole moment is prependicular to the initial field.Find the potential/electric field of the new configuration.(It should be solved in spherical coordinates [itex] (r,\theta,\phi) [/itex] and the answer is independent of [itex] \phi [/itex].)

Homework Equations

[itex] \phi(r,\theta)=\Sigma _{l=0} ^∞ (A_l r^l+\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l(cos \theta) [/itex]
Where [itex] A_l [/itex] and [itex] B_l [/itex] are constants to be determined and [itex] P_l(x) [/itex] are the legendre polynomials.
I'm not sure,but maybe it can be solved by the method of image charges too.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the formula above but I got so confused about the boundary conditions and also how to use them to calculate As and Bs.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good start is to look at the potential inside and outside the sphere. On the outside, for example, you can look at r>>R, and on the inside you know that the only thing allowed to blow up is the dipole.

Thanks
I tried that,but I thought r>>R means [itex] r \rightarrow \infty [/itex] because otherwise it wouldn't help much.We know that the potential at infinity is [itex] -E_0 r cos\theta + A_0 [/itex] and so I got [itex] A_1=-E_0 [/itex] and [itex] A_{l>1}=0[/itex].
Then we know that the spherical shell is an equipotential and we can assume it to be zero.
From here,I calculated Bs from l=0 to l=2,using the orthogonality formula for legendre polynomials.They were zero so I suspect all Bs are zero(is it right?). But this means that the potential function is just [itex] -E_0 r cos\theta + A_0 [/itex],which obviously is not.
What have I done wrong?

Can we say that inside the shell,the uniform field is canceled by the rearrangement of charges on the sphere and the only field inside is the field of dipole?

Sorry,I know it makes the problem really different,but what if the sphere was dielectric?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not quite, what is the potential term of a dipole? Is there a B_l that will match that term? Hmm, I honestly kind of forget how these problems work with dielectrics.

I guess the presence of dipole only changes the boundary conditions which are used to determine the constants and there doesn't need to be sth we call the term associated to the dipole.

Thanks

1. What is an electrostatic problem?

An electrostatic problem is a type of problem that involves the study of electric charges at rest and the forces and fields they create. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of electrically charged particles and their interactions with each other and with electric and magnetic fields.

2. How do you solve an electrostatic problem?

To solve an electrostatic problem, you need to first identify the type of problem you are dealing with and then use the appropriate equations and principles to calculate the electric field, potential, or charge distribution. This typically involves using laws such as Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law, as well as solving differential equations.

3. What are some common applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, such as in electronic devices, power generation and transmission, medical imaging, and industrial processes. It is also used in everyday objects like air purifiers, printers, and photocopiers.

4. What is the difference between electrostatics and electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with electric charges at rest, while electrodynamics deals with the motion of electric charges. In other words, electrostatics focuses on static electric fields and forces, while electrodynamics also takes into account the effects of moving charges and changing electric and magnetic fields.

5. How is electrostatics related to magnetism?

Electrostatics and magnetism are closely related as they are both aspects of electromagnetism. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This connection is described by Maxwell's equations, which unify the laws of electrostatics and magnetism.